Re: 2005 Overhaulin' Mustang is for Sale on Ebay

Craig Shaffer wrote:
I you go to the Overhaulin' web site you will see a disclaimer on the
application for a car to be on  the show stating that you are responsible
for the taxes on the value of all the products that go into the cars.  I
don't know if that  is limited to just hardware, or does it include the
design.  What is a Chip Foose Car worth?  Some of the cars on the Speed
Channel's telecast of the Barrett-Jackson were Foose Designs, and they were
going in the 100K range.  Overall just the taxes on a Foose Designed car
would be a bargin, if you had the cash or a good line of credit.

I wonder about the legality of that. The person filling out the application is supposed to be a friend or relative of the owner, not the owner himself. The person filling out the application doesn't receive the taxable benefit so they don't owe the tax, and the owner who receives the benefit never agreed to have the work done. Doesn't seem right to pay for something you never asked for. And its not like when your mechanic installs a part you don't want. The mechanic has the option of removing the offending part if you refuse to pay for it. The show can't just undo everything they did to your car.

I'm sure the owner has to sign a lot of paperwork before they drive away with their 'new' vehicle. I wonder what happens if they refuse to? Does the show have a mechanics lien for the work they performed on a car that they stole? Unless the person who applied to the show is a registered owner of the vehicle, they aren't able to authorize the removal of the vehicle or the work. So as far as I'm concerned, the vehicle was truly stolen. Do you have to pay a car thief for any new parts he adds to your vehicle or pay taxes on that?

  • Re: Left and right on vehicles.
    ... This shows the registered *keeper*, not the owner of the car. ... There is no formal document which shows the owner a motor vehicle, ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: oopisee in Ann Arbor
    ... BP gas station owner Paul Berry realized there was a problem on Tuesday ... my car started sputtering and my warning lights went on. ... adequate vehicle to drive and for all repair costs - and then some. ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Re: Stop Sign Cameras Installed in California
    ... vehicle, who just may not have been the person driving the car at the time? ... Speed cameras to follow. ... The ticket is sent to the registered car owner who pays the fine. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • RE: Spam:RE: application for an employment
    ... You still have the right of ownership on the car. ... The rights are those of the property owner. ... Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree ... confirmed by letter or fax signed by a Partner of BDO. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Spam - Note Rose Malinis and Sheik Baboy
    ... > passengers inside and sends the exact location of the vehicle to the owner. ... > This gives car owners enough time to contact the proper authorities for safe ... While this is a good suggestion and should help deter carnapping, ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)