1998 Explorer XLT - radio display blank - known problem and fix

I have a '98 Explorer and just experienced this problem. The radio,
CD, and tape deck are functional in every way, its just that the
clock/radio display is dark and so you can't see what station you're
on, CD track, etc. Apparently it's a common problem; I found it very
disappointing and annoying.

Thank God for D Harrison, who posted a fix in 2002 on this group. I
couldn't reply with my thanks because the topic is more than 30 days
old, but I thought I'd include a link and post my gratitude.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer/browse_thread/thread/7645e4d7581f26aa/2dda34a126ed0c8f%232dda34a126ed0c8f

My specific issue was a little different, as resoldering the surface
mount components Mr Harrison indicated were his problem did not fix the
problem in my case. So I pulled the unit again, and resoldered every
surface mount component connection on the board. That did the trick.
I am just amazed that anyone could figure out this problem - all the
solder connections looked fine to me, and I wouldn't have known what a
"surface mount" component was without Mr Harrison's accurate
description of the board's layout.

I also want to post a link to a very helpful site that shows how to
fashion the radio removal tools:

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/removal.htm

Thanks to all this, a $500 problem cost me nothing but time to fix.

Thank you for this group, thanks for Google, and thanks to Mr Harrison!

  • Re: 1998 Explorer XLT - radio display blank - known problem and fix
    ... Very common issue, fixed it myself a few years back. ... who posted a fix in 2002 on this group. ... mount components Mr Harrison indicated were his problem did not fix the ... surface mount component connection on the board. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer)
  • Re: 1998 Explorer XLT - radio display blank - known problem and fix
    ... Thank God for D Harrison, who posted a fix in 2002 on this group. ... mount components Mr Harrison indicated were his problem did not fix the ... surface mount component connection on the board. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer)
  • Re: 1998 Explorer XLT - radio display blank - known problem and fix
    ... Thank God for D Harrison, who posted a fix in 2002 on this group. ... mount components Mr Harrison indicated were his problem did not fix the ... surface mount component connection on the board. ...
    (rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer)
  • Re: Ford Radio Display Fix and Threats from a Phony Lawyer
    ... > the problem and has posted how to fix it". ... >> I posted the pictures yesterday on how to fix the Ford radio. ... >> repair and it burned up his car and apartment. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: [spoiler] Champs, and chumps
    ... but I don't think they'd have held him in the pits longer than necessary to refuel just for the radio. ... Of course not, but I think Alonso said it stopped working shortly after the start - I'd guess it was plugged in but he managed to catch the cable and yank the plug out by accident, and then waited sensibly for a team member to plug him back in at the pitstop rather than try to fix it himself. ...
    (rec.autos.sport.f1)