Replacing the Form in an RE20

I'm venturing into my first experience with replacing the foam in an RE20. What
a mess. The first thing I did was to remove the XLR insert so that I could get
to the Allen screw to remove the bottom base (Ref 3 in the drawing). When I
pulled the insert loose, I broke the wires right at the connector terminals.

After I got the insert out, I was able to remove the Allen screw and remove the
base. The red and green wires from the XLR insert are soldered to the insert on
one end and to terminals on a plate just inside the base. Something has my
mystified. The wires from the XLR insert were wrapped into a tight coil inside
the mic. That means that there is no way (that I could see) to pull the XLR
insert out without breaking the wires. The coil would have to keep the wires
from pulling through.

The insert HAS to be removed to get to the Allen screw. When the Allen screw is
in place, it area where the wires were coiled are inaccessible.

How did EV coil those wires inside the base of the mic? What is the order in
which these mics are assembled in manufacturing?

Cleaning this thing up is a mess. If you have one of these mics that is 10 years
or older, you might want to change the foam in them before they deteriorate
fully. If your mic rattles when you shake it, it's probably too late.

http://electrovoice.com/downloadfile.php?i=971882

EV, at last check, wants $200 to replace the foam. If I don't get this one put
back together, who is a non-EV repair shop?

  • Re: How to Fix a Rats Nest of Cables at a Workstation
    ... I like that foam idea. ... A hole would be cut in the plastic tool box for the ac cables running ... The foam idea can be used to guide wires out of the tool box. ... power separate from AC power cables. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Foam Board
    ... Do you glue more foam ... Woodland Scenics foam risers between these and the base. ... each section of layout. ... handle all the wires coming out through the bottom of the board ...
    (rec.models.railroad)
  • Re: Mogami 2893
    ... Connect wires which are opposite together to form the hot and cold inputs ... Red and Blue pin 2 XLR ... Black and clear Pin 3 XLR ... from picture it looks like RED-BLUE for one leg and BLACK- ...
    (rec.arts.movies.production.sound)
  • Re: Mogami 2893
    ... Connect wires which are opposite together to form the hot and cold inputs ... Red and Blue pin 2 XLR ... Black and clear Pin 3 XLR ... from picture it looks like RED-BLUE for one leg and BLACK- ...
    (rec.arts.movies.production.sound)
  • Re: SM57/SM58 mics... now unbalanced?
    ... either an SM57 or SM58. ... or 58 into unbalanced mics for no apparent reason. ... A balanced connection only required two wires. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)