Re: this talk about stereo

Nate -

The macro situation is that you will find (my favorite saying) that "it
ain't a recording until it gets played back." What I mean by this is it is
hard to tell what the final result will sound like until you try something
and hear it played back on a few systems. You may be monitoring on
headphones, love it, and then play it on speakers and not like it so much.

IMHO, what you want is a pair of instruments playing at a normal position
scheme in the playback room in front of you, not at the channel extremes
like an early Beatles record, but somewhat between the speakers and with
some separation. Beyond that, you want some natural reverb going to the
front and side walls as a natural sounding acoustical bed behind them. Hope
no disagreement so far.

Easiest and best way to record this ambient bed would be any technique that
relies on good origianl sound, i.e. make the recording in a good acoustical
space. Record both the musicians and the ambience with any of the accepted
techniques such as Blumlein, spaced omni, M/S, ORT-F so that the angle of
coverage "takes in" both the direct sound and the early and a little of the
late reflected sound around them.

This may be enough, but if you want to spot them as well, maybe to balance
them closer to how they sounded to you live, then fine, but don't mix that
in full steam and monitor it on speakers when you make the final decisions.

OK, all of that from an "amateur" recordist so far, but an avid audio
theorist. Interested to hear what the group has to add or change about that.

Gary Eickmeier

  • Re: My review of various 10 inch guitar speakers
    ... I don't want any mold coming out of my speaker cabs thus the ... Sound is subjective and quite frankly you aint old enough to have had much ... to be a big difference in how speakers can sound depending on ... The clear winner in closed back cabs was the Eminence Ramrod. ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: OT:For Howard
    ... My Velodyne F1800RII (used for the center, surround, and LFE bass in my main room) has a lamp sitting on it and even a foam pad underneath does not keep the shade from buzzing sometimes. ... Even the rather heavy surround speakers hanging on the walls buzz a bit with strong, clean low-bass from the subs, and they also have foam pads behind them. ... recordings include the "sound" of the hall itself, and that sound is often very low in frequency. ...
    (rec.audio.opinion)
  • Re: Why We Need Audiophiles
    ... credibility by painting Fremer as a nut in the opening ... But for this kind of money I'd ... speakers driven by Halcro monoblocks, ... automatically sound great. ...
    (rec.audio.opinion)
  • Re: iPod trouble - can anyone help?
    ... chain are all an important part of the particular quality of the sound. ... adding artistically judged amounts of distortion (i.e., ... That adds to the complexity. ... You should try some decent speakers one day. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Sound Installation Advice
    ... because studio monitors sound good in the studio, and home speakers sound ... better at home" philosophy shows that you don't know shit about SR design ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)