Re: OT: helping son of a friend learn programming

It used to be that they used Pascal introductory programming classes.
And just like Java, it's a good language to learn programming in because
it has a lot of training wheels on it.  And just like Java, it's a bad
language to develop actual applications in, but people did it anyway because
that's what they knew.
Correct - I started with Pascal. I think Java is a lot more advanced/
better than Pascal but I would NOT use it for a large development
project (unless I had no other choice).

If you're going to do that, you might as well just cut out the middleman
and learn assembler.  (Which everyone should do at some point, but probably
not as their first experience programming.)
I disagree here. It's a BIG step from assembler to C++. However, as
you say, I think think it's good to have some assembly knowledge/
experience.

I have never really seen Visual Basic.  Is it as apt to encourage bad
programming practices and spaghetti code the way that traditional BASIC
did?
Yes but it's still good for some simple GUI applications, etc. MS
really pushed Basic for a while but now they're focusing on their C#
(their "Java killer").

Mike

  • Re: Original Macbook OS died. now no space on HD but also no way to rebuild?
    ... It is very easy to learn to write a program using .net or java. ... learning any language takes longer than a paragraph. ... programming environment is much easier to learn compared to modern ... could compile Java at all. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Static vs Dynamic
    ... (Java has too much noise in its source code, ... lot to ask and is typical in a typed language supporting polymorphism. ... > developers can easily learn the Java programming language; ... > obivous bugs slip through and b) in many cases, ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Hobby languages
    ... Because 100 out of 100 Java "programmers" have no idea what the ... English with someone whose native language is Swahili, ... of programming and requiring bloated resources. ... COBOL IS commonly found on the PCs of people who are interested in COBOL. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: why is "self" used in OO-Python?
    ... and worse this has spread from Java into other ... by whatever happens to be the first OO language they learn". ... If the first programming language (or the ... I have no objection to teaching Java in a CS curriculum. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: 71% Say Finding New Energy Sources More Important than Conservation
    ... Most of the drive to define was for a test programming language, because each tester had it's own language and the engineer would have to re-write the program every time the testor changed. ... The only reason it was used was because people saw that it would have a longer life time than ADA. ... My group at Stanford switched to Java as their language of choice after giving up on C++ as too flawed to use. ...
    (soc.retirement)