Re: recording and apparent intonation

Peter Larsen wrote:

Go get some tuners to get the instruments absolutely correct. It is
important for the care of the instruments that they are used to being in
tune, it is my conviction that the wood resonances will adapt.

Once the open strings are in tune, practice playing--individually and as a
group--with the tuner playing the tonic drone of whatever piece you're
working on. Learn to hear what the intervals sound like when they're in
tune. This takes time, but even 10-15 minutes' practice a day will quickly
make a big difference.

Don't try to "play the tuner" by following the needle. That will not yield
the long-term results needed.

Intonation is a constant problem, to greater or lesser degree, for all
instrumentalists and ensembles. Recordings don't falsify intonation. Not a
happy thought, but nonetheless the truth.

  • Re: tuner problem
    ... adjusting by ear. ... A string always starts slightly sharp. ... if you tune while it is thinking it kind of jumps around. ... strobe tuner - which I highly reccomend. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: tuner problem
    ... it using only my tuner, i end up being way off from the rest of the ... tuner, my A string ends up showing ~5 cents flat, but it sounds perfect ... and in tune with a piano or guitar. ... During the gig I do any needed tuning by ear. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: OT: Can you play a sax out of tune?
    ... some sort of adjustment is made to it to get it in tune. ... Yes, you can then play sharp by blowing particularly hard, or due to ... requirement (particularly for western instruments) to play in all keys, ... Even if the guitars were perfectly in tune in all keys, ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Which Tuner?
    ... yer in tune (unless he's reset the actual ... which is possible with this tuner). ... go with a Sabine. ... Tuning is relative thing. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Electronic tuners
    ... what's often more helpful is the "in tune" lights. ... I also have a Behringer rack tuner, which was inexpensive - about CDN$90 ... then tune open strings or fretted notes with the tuner. ...
    (alt.guitar)