Firebox - Sound slows and distorts - Help

First my system specs:

Compaq Presario SR1911X
AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+
2.20 GHz 960 MB RAM
Windows XP 2002 SP 2

Nuendo 3.1.1 Build 944

I have updated the Firebox firmware to v 2.46.
I have set the processor scheduling to background services.
I have disabled windows sounds.
I have disabled all windows visual affects for best performance.
I have installed the 1394 patch at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222.
I have set the power scheme to always on.
There is no wireless card in the computer.
The firewire card is the only card in the available PCI slots on the
motherboard.
I checked and my firewire card does have a VIA chipset.
In the advanced firewall settings under "Network Connection Settings"
I have the "1394 Connection" deselected.
Inside Nuendo under VST Audiobay my Master ASIO driver is set to the
Firebox ASIO driver.
Under "Expert" settings in the VST Audiobay, I have set the audio
priority to "Very High."

My problem is this: Sound playback starts to distort and slow down. If
I reset the CPU processing speed on the Firebox from low to high, the
problem corrects itself, until it happens again, and then I set it
from high to low or to medium, and on and on in a never ending cycle.
This problem happens with just one single track recorded in the
project. Say I am listening to playback and I zoom in and out either
horizontally or vertically, bang, I get the distortion and slowdown.
I then reset the CPU processing speed on the Firebox, and everything
works fine until I zoom in and out again. It happens from time to
time when I open the mixer, and I have also had it happen when
previewing a plug-in on a track. I have opened the VST Performance
meter, and I never see any spike on the CPU when I attempt to do any
of the functions that have caused the slowdown and distortion.

I am at a loss. Thanks in advance for your time.
.

Quantcast