Re: Wide-eyed n00b mixer question

anahata wrote:

Just use a spare channel for the aux return. If the mixer has
line-level stereo inputs, it might be good to use one (i.e. a L-R
pair) of those. Some mixers have dedicated aux returns, but they're
just another line-level input with a different label and maybe
different channel facilities. Other mixers just give you a uniform
set of inputs and let you decide how to use them.

Okay - thanks for that. Sounds like there are many ways to skin a cat, so I
guess I just pick one that works for my head.

Yes, that's the usual way it's done. Use a post-fader aux send, if
there's a choice, unless you want to do something wacky like fade out
the main signal but leave its reverb in the mix.

Yes, post fade. I basically want to add a particular atmosphere or
environmental feel once a piece is complete, and to have the option to
experiment with that.

Soundcraft is generally good kit. I have two mixers in the older
"Spirit" range and they work well, but I don't know about the newer
ranges. In a typical home studio your mixer won't be the weak link,
certainly not if it's Soundcraft.

I'm pretty sure the weakest link is the room (and the dodgy piano playing).
If decent kit that doesn't introduce new weak links can be had for sensible
money, then getting some of that would seem like a good idea.

I'll see if I can find some reviews on the EPM range - if they live up to
Soundcraft's reputation, they look like good value (sweepable mid is nice,
too). I think I'd feel better about spending an extra 50ukp or so on one of
these than a similarly-specced Behringer. (For some reason, I have it in for
the Behringer mixers, and I don't know why - some nagging doubt about
reliability, maybe.)

--
Wally
www.wally.myby.co.uk