Re: Power Mini Electret with Phantom

"Polar" wrote ...
I am using a mini condenser electret microphone for research that I
would like to connect to the balanced XLR input of a mixer. Ideally, I
would like to power the mic on the mixer's phantom power.

I tried connecting the - and ground of a hacked XLR cable and hooking
up the mic's leads accordingly (as suggested by some websites), but the
noise was too dramatic. So, I'm unsure what the best solution is.
Should I buy an unbalanced to balanced converter? Is there a simple
"hack job" solution? Should I just splurge for some more expensive
balanced mics?

I'm not incredibly knowledgable on the subject, so any words of wisdom
would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/#phantom This is a collection of info about modifying PZM microphones, but the circuits apply to most electret condenser mic capsules such as the one you likely have.

A kit for powering electret from phantom power....
http://www.uneeda-audio.com/#pzm

More information about powering electrets...
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/microphone_powering.html

  • Re: Appropriate contemporary microphones for a spaced omnidirectional direct stereo array in field r
    ... Also they should not "require" phantom power. ... While I've never used those mics myself, ... sounds that are very low level. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Emu 1820m soundcard phantom power problem
    ... significantly cheaper than getting a used mixer with phantom power..... ... That will power your mic. ... Some mics will work on lower ... voltage, some will work but not as well, some won't work at all. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Adapting a microphone to remote phantom power
    ... Phantom power - as regards mics - is only applicable to balanced mics and ... is no potential difference across the audio allowing a non phantom powered ... the Sony Walkman in this case applies power across both ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Microphones
    ... > power, as it should be possible to turn off the power at the desk. ... have no phantom power at all. ... powered mics, depending on just how they are powered. ... Typical battery powered units use a single 9V battery. ...
    (rec.music.makers.squeezebox)
  • Re: phantom problem
    ... > i have a tascam mx-80 8 channel mic mixer, and im using it to mix down ... > drum mics to two channels. ... but there is phantom in in the back. ... > phantom in to provide the power, providing that the output is 48v, ...
    (rec.audio.pro)