Re: WGA sues soaps over replacement writers

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 00:55:31 -0500, Rob Jensen <ShutUpRob@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 21:04:37 -0400, DonnaB shallotpeel
<shallotpeel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And, two, I wonder how ABC can say that they are in compliance, since their
HWs went FiCore & were Scab writers during the strike, but are still
functioning as HWs now. Of course, they should be fired because they're
incompetent hacks, but that's a different issue.

A WGA holder going Fi-Core is essentially a Scab-with-Benefits status.
Since they've already been WGA members, still get benefits from it and
(IIRC -- correct me on this one somebody if I'm wrong), still pay into
it, and, of course, you forfeit your right to vote in the union. Thus,
Fi-Core dopes aren't affected by the anti-Scab provisions that the
WGAE are suing the shows under. Basically, what going Fi-Core means
is that the job you currently have is the last one you're going to
have in the industry, so you should do everything you can not to keep
hold of it. In the case of these daytime soap showrunner scabs, job
security ain't going to be a burning issue (except, I suppose, if you
were the showrunner of Passions.)

Past history of fi-core writers say that it isn't necessarily their last
job. Whether they are hired in another writing assignment is up to
producers, not the WGA, and the producers, by-and-large, have no reason not
to hire fi-core writers just because they're fi-core

As you note (if I read the above correctly), this suit isn't over them, the
WGA has no legal action it can take about their employment, either new or
continuing, as long as they continue to pay the guild dues (minus that
portion of the dues that would cover political activities, both internal
and external). The Financial Core provision was originally used to allow
union members to dissasociate themselves from their union's political
activity while retaining the financial rights of a union member. It wasn't
originally intended for strike-breaking (although it can work that way). It
applies to all unions which have mandatory membership contracts.

The decision also isn't necessarily for life. Robert Rodriguez has gone
back and forth between full membership in the DGA and fi-core status,
depending on the project he was working on (notably, he went fi-core while
making Sin City because of DGA rules about directing credit weren't letting
him list Frank Miller as Co-Director). In the case of Rodriguez, his
resignations and re-instatements have been amicable.

WGA rules say that a member who goes fi-core must pay the initiation fees
and other original costs again to become a full member again.

--
"Oh Buffy, you really do need to have
every square inch of your ass kicked."

  • Re: Striking late night shows might wait for Letterman to lead
    ... Conan and Jimmy Kimmel cover to ... returned without writers. ... a member of WGA ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: WGA comment
    ... A spokeswoman for the Writers Guild of America East ... The WGA comment does not make any sense. ... talk show host can or can not write. ... They have to be a member of the writers ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: WGA comment
    ... A spokeswoman for the Writers Guild of America East ... The WGA comment does not make any sense. ... talk show host can or can not write. ... They have to be a member of the writers ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: WGA comment
    ... Letterman is a member of WGA and supported the writers in the last ... strike in 1988. ... And those shows without the writers were really crappy. ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: Christmas Suggestion
    ... No. Dave uses his writers and is also a member of the WGA also. ... What a Wonderful Web We Weave ...
    (alt.fan.letterman)