Re: Homemade Light Relay System

FFightermatt wrote:
> It's just for turning four or five channels either on or off from a
> table about 25 feet away from the lights. My lights come on
> immediately when plugged in, there isn't any delay. And don't worry, I
> won't be building this alone. One of my friends is an electrician.
> Now I've read about using cat 5 cable and I've seen some using serial
> cable. What would be the easiest way to make this?

For 5 lights?

1 8 core MAINS (not cat5 or serial unless you want to start a fire)
cable of 25-30ft length,
1 standard household switch bank (2 x 3 way should do fine)

You can either wire the lights permanently to a junction box on the
stand and fit that with an 8-way connector or you can have a breakout
box made with 5 separate outputs and an 8-way input connector.

I'd suggest putting a similar socket on the control end, allowing you to
have a fully detachable cable, it'll be a pain to transport and liable
to damage if you don't.

You should be able to get the 8 way cable & connectors fairly easily, in
the UK we call them 'bulgin plugs', still widely used by mobile DJ's -
see here :
http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/GenPurpose_Connectors/Plugs_and_Sockets.html

Personally, I'd go buy a cheap switchpack and controller off of e-bay,
less hassle and a better result.

Jim.

  • In the Groove 2 interference issues (update)
    ... original Konami memory card slot lights have power applied to them. ... There's a cable running from the audio amp assembly to the control ... Another connector on the same PCB runs to ... the control panel lights & the marquee-mounted stage ...
    (rec.games.video.arcade.collecting)
  • Re: TECH: TZ cascade of failures!
    ... lights on my playfield went out. ... softwaare setting does is disable the upper flippers during certain ... rebuild the 5 Volt power supply on your board. ... Replace the connector with a high quality tri ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Help requested - Gottlieb Spiderman
    ... None of the bumper lights, bonus, extra ball, targets, or any "play" ... lighting is working at all! ... My first guess would be bad connector pins. ... removing them from the CPU board and replacing them a few times. ...