Re: Repair torn Curtain

In article <1174395792.388540.322930@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"JohnO" <t696asm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this...but I need some
advice or a link.

I volunteer with my kids' high school stage productions. Last night
the main stage curtain got hung up on a prop and the kid kept pulling,
creating a tear. (L-shaped, say six inches on each side, up at ten
feet) The director, a teacher at the school, is devastated. The show
is supposed to go on Friday.

Can this be repaired, and where might I find some resources about an
emergrnccy patch...or what can we do right away? I believe this is a
standard velour curtain.

-John O

It can be repaired.....it will never look perfect, but it can look
better.

The first thing to do is get the weight off the tear. If possible,
bring the curtain in so that the tear can lay flat on a horizontal
surface. Otherwise, someone will have to get on a ladder or similar
elevation device and work carefully.

Get a square of sturdy fabric, big enough to cover the tear. Ideally, a
scrap of the same fabric the curtain is made of. Pin it with many
safety pins to the back above the tear. Get some help lifting the
curtain, and pin the scrap all around. The ideal is for the tear to lie
flat, but transfer the weight of the curtain to the patch. The curtain
is HEAVY--use more pins than you think you need, because each individual
pin is a weak spot.
Gently release the curtain weight, and look at the curtain from the
front. You will probably have to got back and repin several times to
make the drape hang properly.

Then someone can go back and sew the patch, or if the curtain can be
struck completely, it can be taken for repair. The outside of the patch
needs to be sewn with a good strong thread, because those stitches are
holding a lot of weight. Then , if necessary, a smaller scrap of
lighter-weight, closer-color fabric can be put behind the tear, and the
tear can be loosely sewn closed. Make sure the patch is holding the
weight, not the weakened tear!

--
sarahat at gmail dot com
.