Re: A B&N Field Report (was Entry Level Drug)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:27:31 +1000, Christopher Adams wrote:

Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

Though it's providing an interesting insight, isn't it? Apparently for
some humans at least, learning to speak is *hard*work*.

Apropos of this subject:

http://www.radiolab.org/2010/aug/09/

This is an NPR podcast on the subject of language - specifically, how
learning to talk (for the first time, or again after a stroke, et
cetera) enables us to think. There is some persuasive evidence that
having a language capable of expressing more and more concepts enables
us to think in a more sophisticated way.

Among the interesting tidbits: children below the age of about 5 or 6
years are no more able to conceive of the concept "left of the blue
wall" than is a rat.

A few weeks ago, I caught part of a news item on NPR about a new
experiment, teaching young children a basic vocabulary of American Sign
Language before they learn to speak. Apparently, the brain centers that
handle symbolic communication mature faster than does the fine muscle
control needed for actual speech. I didn't quite catch the ages
involved, except that the toddlers in question were communicating via ASL
several months before they actually began forming understandable words
via speech. Apparently, this results in both the child and the parents
having less frustration at being unable to communicate with each other.

--
John F. Eldredge -- john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly

  • Re: learning languages
    ... Chinese Mandarin. ... learning Mandarin would be 1000x harder than learning English. ... Mandarin as well as five-year-old American children speak English? ... very best way of learning any language: do what they do, ...
    (misc.writing)
  • Re: Language_3
    ... language. ... We are well along in learning to speak Spanish. ... Considering the quality of English I hear on US news broadcasts, ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Tire-Making - Less Splitting / More Wrinkles and...... German?
    ... description of how the language works it is kind of unavoidable. ... The point of language is communication first and ... Learning grammar at the same time as learning communication ... However when learning Turkish I nearly died laughing ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Tire-Making - Less Splitting / More Wrinkles and...... German?
    ... description of how the language works it is kind of unavoidable. ... Learning grammar at the same time as learning communication ... However when learning Turkish I nearly died laughing ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: that
    ... I, personally, view the concept "native speaker" apart from socio- ... their first language when learning to speak as a child. ... but learning a language strictly by immersion at a reasonably young age comes pretty close to learning it as a first tongue. ... I'm a native speaker of Latvian, but I have about 58 years of experience speaking English -- the only language in which I am still fluent. ...
    (alt.usage.english)