Re: Fantasy Books.

Jacey Bedford <lookinsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Chuk Goodin <cgoodin@xxxxxx> writes
"Un Lun Dun" was really good -- almost like a modern Alice in Wonderland.

I'm trying to read it now but at 120 pages and counting I really haven't
engaged with the characters. (And it's a long book 400+ pages.) Though
the ideas are quirky there's not enough to grab me yet.

Have you...

It's just a trip
through a surreal landscape with wandering bridges, rooftops at ground
level and houses made out of dead fridges; peopled with Ninja dustbins,
heroic bus conductors and broken brollies. They've just got back home
after the smog attack and Deeba has just twigged that something is
wrong, so I'm hoping it bucks up a bit from here, otherwise I'm in
danger of not finishing it.

....okay, you're just about to get to the Reveal; you might want to keep going
at least until Un Lun Dun is the setting again.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from dbd@xxxxxxx "It's not the pot that grows the flower

  • Re: Editor wants to help !
    ... In message, Jacey Bedford writes ... different show from Doctor Who. ... Not sure that the 'affair' between two of the main characters is anything resembling a _love_ affair... ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Dragging my feet about the ending
    ... I have three main character viewpoints and all my three characters are going to be involved in different parts of the final action - all coming together at the very end. ... What kind of resolutions and actions feel right. ... Jacey Bedford ... or any other forum that reprints usenet posts as ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Re: A moment of stuckness
    ... The gypsy witch takes him in... ... Mainly, I think, because you seem to love these characters and want to write about them. ... Jacey Bedford ... or any other forum that reprints usenet posts as ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Re: RICO charges filed against MQ in California ... Class action on behalf of 3000 clients ...
    ... they were counting and how they said they were counting it in their ... containing formatting the whole keystroke argument falls flat, ... > characters were counted--later explained as spaces. ... > keystrokes to turn on bold or underline using ctrl b or ctrl u so is that ...
    (sci.med.transcription)
  • Re: Culture question
    ... if they exist in the US (or for that matter Australia - one of the ... characters in the short is from Melbourne). ... Imagine George W doing a Queen's speech! ... Jacey Bedford ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)