Re: Different laws of physics

Wasn't it Howard Brazee who wrote:
Cosmologists sometimes talk about regions of space that don't have our
laws of physics. This doesn't mean worlds where magic exists - but
I'm wondering what it might mean. Different values of G? Different
speeds of light? Different quantum mechanics? Different Newtonian
laws?

Each physical theory has a number of fundamental constants. A universe
is considered to have our laws of physics if those fundamental constants
have the same values. The current standard model has 25 fundamental
constants, but doesn't include gravity (and we don't have a grand
unified theory yet). The 25 fundamental constants are:
Fine Structure Constant
Strong Coupling Constant
The masses of 15 fundamental particles
Four parameters of the CKM Matrix
Four parameters of the Maki-Nakagawa-Sakata matrix

A universe with a different value for the Fine Structure Constant would
have a different speed of light, and pretty much anything to do with the
electromagnetic force would be different.

Several of the numbers are involved in determining which elements are
stable, or even which subatomic particles are stable. A small change can
end up with a universe in which there are no atoms heavier than hydrogen
(that happens if the Fine Structure Constant is greater than about 0.1),
or in which any atoms that come close to each other tend fuse together
to create single stable atoms with trillions of protons, or in which
protons and neutrons are unstable and quickly decay.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure