Re: Behind the Times? (was Re: Conventions)

In message <y5rdlbJOzKWDFwCx@xxxxxxxxxx>, Bernard Peek <bap@xxxxxxxxxx>
writes

>You can't stop someone from retyping a copy, but you can make it
>difficult, which reduces the probability that someone will find it
>worth doing. There have been instances of press releases being edited
>and then quoted, misattributing the edited text to the original
>authors. That's the main reason why press releases are usually PDFs.

At a place I worked at the datasheets for chips we made were released
onto the Web as PDFs for this reason, among others -- it was more
difficult for a competitor to edit them and rerelease them as genuine to
make us look bad in the eyes of our customers. No impossible even with
PDFs but more difficult to do seamlessly.
--
My gmail account is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

  • Re: Behind the Times? (was Re: Conventions)
    ... which reduces the probability that someone will find it ... >>worth doing. ... That's the main reason why press releases are usually PDFs. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: stats related question
    ... I made a function that gives the probability that one ... Pwhere x and y are PDFs. ... If the random variables are uniform, ... g is a uniform distribution between 5 and 15. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Statistical Ranking for Non-Normal Populations
    ... This is not a trivial question, if the data are in short supply. ... about the underlying pdfs themselves (inasmuch as there is zilch ... sampling of each of the separate populations. ... What is the probability that the outcome #2 will be the maximum? ...
    (sci.stat.math)
  • Re: new and upcoming
    ... My opinion of GURPS players are that we are not ... doing this involved is actually the greatest cost. ... My problem with PDFs is all it takes is a computer crash and poor ... downloads of the same document for any reason or no reason at all, ...
    (rec.games.frp.gurps)
  • Re: New RISC OS Programmers Reference Manual - The Window Manager available at ARM Club Christma
    ... (Forgetting, of course, that the PDFs of the originals were widely ... complain if other people do think it is worth the asking price. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.programmer)