Re: Behind the Times? (was Re: Conventions)

In message <IoDvpD.9Mx@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes
In article <43507B24.9000501@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Sea Wasp  <seawaspobvious@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been using computers since the '70s myself, and there is no way in all the seven hells of space you'd get me back to a command line unless you made all GUI interfaces instantly lethal. It's not a matter of literacy. It's a matter of ease of use. No command line was EVER as easy to use as my Atari ST, my Mac, or even, gods forbid, WinBlows. I'd rather use a Windows 95 box than a command line. Hell, I'll even take Xwindows.

Broccoli.

To use any kind of GUI I know about you have to take at least one
hand off the keyboard!  What the hell stupid kind of arrangement
is that?

That's not necessarily true. Almost everything that you routinely do with a mouse in Windows can also be done using the keyboard, you rarely need to use a mouse if you know the keyboard operations well enough. If your keyboard skills are good enough then using a mouse is slower, but most computer users don't have that level of keyboard skill.

The designers are trying to fix the problem by finding an alternative to the keyboard that works as well. They haven't succeeded yet. My best suggestion is a camera that lip-reads.

--
Once more in search of cognoscenti
Bernard Peek

  • Re: vi horizontal split screen
    ... Command line recall and edit, which I had on DOS, was worth the price of admission by itself. ... The script language was designed to look like C for the benefit of C programmers working on *nix, but you still needed to know Bourne syntax, because all the scripts that controlled Unix itself were in the Bourne shell language. ... Emacs is not it. ... The default Emacs keystrokes have the same basic characteristic as the default vi keystrokes and the default WordStar command set: they are keyboard independent. ...
    (comp.editors)
  • Re: My afternoon
    ... Ever used the command line? ... distributed computer connected to a huge computer network ... no display and it cannot run apps. ... didn't have a keyboard, too. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: ? sci fi or fantasy
    ... >> Hell, we are at that point right now. ... As a computer tech I have seen ... -- Ken from Chicago (who misses the simplicity of AmigaOS, putting command ... the system directory instead of copying everything willy nilly into the ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: iTunes questions
    ... Its time Apple woke up. ... keyboard shortcuts are conspicuously absent. ... they also gave the common actions keyboard equivalents, which is much, ... Every commonly used command or option should have a kb shortcut. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: command line vs gui
    ... > command lines over GUI, ... Windows based Oracle. ... For me, it breaks down into not gui vs cli, but mouse vs keyboard. ... cli command is a series of carefully constructed txt options. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)