Re: Help needed with expletives
- From: James A. Donald <jamesd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 10:57:12 +1000
To my ear, all such terms are condescending. The
implication is that we already know that the
characteristic is bad--not merely in the sense of
unfortunate, like being sick, but in something more
like an "implies low status" sense--and we also know
that people who have that characteristic are sensitive
and must be protected by pretending they aren't low
Indeed one can generalize this by saying: Euphemism
just does not work.
We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because
of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this
right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.
http://www.jim.com/ James A. Donald
- Prev by Date: Re: Is it an insult?
- Next by Date: Re: Help needed with expletives
- Previous by thread: Re: Help needed with expletives
- Next by thread: Re: Help needed with expletives