Re: Fantasy vs fairy tale vs fancy (was Narrative Summary and Transitions

In article <11ncp0oiosvpb53@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bill Swears
<wswears@xxxxxxx> writes

>I think a fairy tale is a particular type of fantasy. A sub-genre, if
>you will.

Or the parent, where modern fantasy is the vigorous offspring?

>I get a feeling of fairy tale when a. the story is told, or at least
>introduced, by an omniscient narrator, b. set in a stylized milieu which
>evokes some earlier romanticised time and place, c. uses framing
>narrative cues to signal important events, even if those are just the
>beginning and end.

Omni is often used for fairy tales, but I'm not sure whether that's a
necessary thing or whether it's just that when the fairy tale type story
was popular, omni was the predominant POV choice. When Patricia does
her thing with Cinderella to explain the difference between the natural
novelist and the natural short story writer, I don't think the POV comes
into it. But a modern retelling of Cinderella is still a fairy tale,
even if done in a modern tightly filtered third with one or more POV
characters.

>So, for me, the sense of fairy tale vice fantasy is a result of
>narrative voice, and an explicit statement of the story conventions
>rather than the specific plot line.
>
>I don't have an example, but I think you could tell a fairy story of the
>"for want of a nail, the kingdom fell" ilk without concentrating the
>entire tale in one hero, and still leave the reader satisfied they have
>read a fairy tale.

Now to me that would be a fable. :-)

Fables always have morals and fairy tales definitely don't have a moral.
Unless it's "stay the hell away from faerie, but if you do have any
contact with fey folk, for heaven's sake, keep your wits about you and
stick to the rules."

Helen
--
Helen, Gwynedd, Wales *** http://www.baradel.demon.co.uk

  • Re: My reading wish list
    ... But the early de Lint u-f stories feel like horror in structure, reaching out to encompass a wider range of mystic threat, combined with a long, long tradition of kids' and YA fantasy where normal people encounter magic and magical stuff in the present day, Nesbit and Eager and Mary Norton and such. ... The Windling influence -- aside from her being de Lint and Bull's editor -- draws from traditional fairy stories (the Fairy Tale series, which is pretty straightforwardly fairy-tales reclaimed and retold for adults in modern settings) and the fantasy of Dunsany and his descendants' Elfland brought to the present day. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Fantasy vs fairy tale vs fancy (was Narrative Summary and Transitions
    ... tradtional fairy tale format) still feel like a 'fairy tale' -- rather than ... like 'fancy' or like something with insufficient world-building. ... >Fairy tales have a smaller scale and are about personal stories. ... >Fantasy, on the other hand is on a larger scale. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Re: Fantasy vs fairy tale vs fancy (was Narrative Summary and Transitions
    ... >>> say that fairy tale is a specific mode more than ... >>> characters verge on the archetypical. ... Fairy tales have a smaller scale and are about personal stories. ... Fantasy, on the other hand is on a larger scale. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Re: Fantasy vs fairy tale vs fancy (was Narrative Summary and Transitions
    ... tradtional fairy tale format) still feel like a 'fairy tale' -- rather than ... Often some characters verge on the archetypical. ... Fairy tales have a smaller scale and are about personal stories. ... Fantasy, on the other hand is on a larger scale. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Re: Fantasy vs fairy tale vs fancy (was Narrative Summary and Transitions
    ... >>> with Narnia, why not 'fantasy'? ... >>> exactly are y'all meaning by 'fairy tale'? ... >> characters verge on the archetypical. ... I'm afraid: ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)