Re: Wimsey and Campion and Templar

"JF" <julian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4aSdnTFC6cME7sfRnZ2dnUVZ8vWdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Stanley Moore wrote:
"Dorothy J Heydt" wrote

Paris Hilton

But a suitable donation to the royals could elevate them to nobility.

Her Majesty might confer the title, but the donation would go (does go) to
political power.

Many a commoner became a peer by way of financial means in the distant
past.

My local footpath researches* have brought me into contact with just the
right bit of history to watch this. At the end of the 18th century, with
the little local difficulty over the Atlantic in full swing and the Dutch
East India Company coming a cropper, the local landed gentry were in a
ferment. At Shadwell the Buxtons, with their fortune based on brewing,
were entering the lowest level of aristocracy. When the ancient Drury-Wake
family (descended from Hereward) sold Riddlesworth Hall it was taken over
by Sylvanus Bevan whose father of the same name is described as an
apothecary which meant brewer. (SB the elder is the source of all
portraits of William Penn, BTW, they are taken from an ivory miniature he
carved.)

Next door to my humble cottage lived Maurice Dreyer, scion of another
Dreyer who worked in the East India Company with Vanneck and Decker who,
by becoming immensely rich (Vanneck built Heveningham Hall in the style of
Versailles which is going it some) ended up as Lord Huntingfield and the
Deckers married into the Fitzwilliams.

Money into peerages, into influence and power. It was for a while
nicknamed 'the beerage'. 'Many a peer of England brews, livelier liquor
than the Muse...' wrote Housman.

Meanwhile Thomas Thornhill, the Factory King who could have been a model
for Dickens's Gradgrind, made no headway at all in spite of having enough
money to buy the lot of them.

Thanks for the interesting historical facts. I was thinking of further back
tahn the 18th oir 19 centuries. Many medieval kings like Henry II and others
needed money from time to time and got it by enobling men of wealth. Sayers
mentions this I thnk about some remote Wimsey donating money to some ancient
king.

Suffilk does sound like a nice timeless place... where we could "walk hand
in hand with a statlier past." Take care
--
Stanley L. Moore
"The belief in a supernatural

.