Re: The Death Penalty (yes or no)

curmudgeon wrote:

All murders are in favor of the Death Penalty
The could be a murder otherwise
Think about it for a moment

Even with Joan's corrections, the concept is far too simplistic. It panders to the Hollywood-television vision of crime and its causes, for what little they care about such things.

For one thing it assumes that most killings are not only intentional but planned in advance. That does not comport to my observation of the world, where most killings arise out of emotions kindled on the spot.

Then there is the intentional aspect. How many killings are intended to be such? When a 16 year old boy involved in a brawl pulls a knife and stabs the person he is fighting [partial facts from a murder case I am involved with], is it because he thinks he sees the other boy reaching for something behind his back (a gun maybe?). Does he really intend to kill the other boy or is he just scared for his own life?

Then there are the crazy killings, like the one that occurred in town (Hartford) a week ago, when too many clients of the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services, formerly in juvenile custody, but they got too old, and were now being "mainstreamed" into city apartments, got together for a game of monopoly on a Friday night. By the end of the night an 18 year old woman was dead at the hands of four others. Uncontrollable emotions and an unhealthy environment were contributors to that tragedy.

Then there is the shibboleth about the death penalty being a deterrent to murder. We all know that is garbage. The killer never thinks of the consequences. And most killers never think at all. So how can the killer be said to favor the death penalty?

Francis A. Miniter

  • Re: Bocelli review
    ... audiences enjoy the death penalty? ... fellow prisoner or prison guard. ... to give a guy a break and release him only to have him murder again.... ... helping this killer stay alive. ...
    (rec.music.opera)
  • Re: The Death Penalty (yes or no)
    ... That does not comport to my observation of the world, where most killings arise out of emotions kindled on the spot. ... When a 16 year old boy involved in a brawl pulls a knife and stabs the person he is fighting [partial facts from a murder case I am involved with], is it because he thinks he sees the other boy reaching for something behind his back. ... The killer never thinks of the consequences. ... Yes, well said, Francis. ...
    (rec.arts.mystery)
  • Re: Ive seen things you people wouldnt believe...
    ... The killer couldn't be sure of who he would kill. ... There have been plenty of cases (at least in murder ... mysteries) where a series of killings with randomish ... victim were the only victim. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Patel : father accused of burning boys to death will stand trial
    ... in exchange for dropping the death penalty was declined, ... Creswell set an April 21 trial date. ... convicted of murder in that case. ... Two men convicted in DuPage County killings sit on the state's Death ...
    (alt.true-crime)
  • Re: The Death Penalty (yes or no)
    ... The could be a murder otherwise ... For one thing it assumes that most killings are not only intentional but planned ... The killer never thinks of the ... said to favor the death penalty? ...
    (rec.arts.mystery)