Re: OT: Palin defends Palin

On Nov 13, 10:25 pm, calvin <cri...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Nov 13, 8:03 pm, calvin <cri...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Nov 13, 6:39 pm, moviePig <pwall...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Afaics, the guy's got both feet on the ground.  Admittedly, there's an
escape clause *if* his initial presumption of Palin's "lies and flim-
flam and bizarre behavior" should somehow turn out to be demonstrably
bogus.  (Then, he and I and *many* others would have to issue
apologies -- with relief, I might add -- and to revise our standards
of credibility.)  But, with regard to why he's still harping on the
matter at such a late date, his priorities sound spot-on to me.
(more on the article later)

Taking the article as tomcervo quoted it, here we go:

Some readers think my continuing attempt to expose all the lies and
flim-flam and bizarre behavior of Sarah Palin is now moot. She's
history - they argue. Move on. I think she probably is history. Even
Bill Kristol and his minions in the McCain-Palin campaign may not be
able to resuscitate her political viability now. But even if she is
history, she is history that matters.

Who are Bill Kristol's minions?

Let's be real in a way the national media seems incapable of: this
person should never have been placed on a national ticket in a mature
democracy. She was incapable of running a town in Alaska competently.

She was and is Governor now, which is more important, but
in any case such a charge of incompetence needs something
to back it up.

The impulsive, unvetted selection of a total unknown, with no
knowledge of or interest in the wider world, as a replacement
president remains one of the most disturbing events in modern American
history.

Even if true, it would be McCain's error, not Palin's.

That the press felt required to maintain a facade of normalcy
for two months - and not to declare the whole thing a farce from start
to finish - is a sign of their total loss of nerve.

Except that that's not what the press did at all.  Just the opposite.

That the Palin
absurdity should follow the two-term presidency of another individual
utterly out of his depth in national government is particularly
troubling.

Totally irrelevant, even if were true.   And claiming that Bush
was out of his depth doesn't make it so.

46 percent of Americans voted for the possibility of this
blank slate as president because she somehow echoed their own sense of
religious or cultural "identity".

That's not why I voted for McCain/Palin, and there's no reason
to think this assumption is true.

Until we figure out how this
happened, we will not be able to prevent it from happening again.

We know how it happened.  Palin electrified the campaign
and energized it, especially the base.  Her femaleness had a
lot to do with it, just as Obama's blackness had a lot to do
with the excitement over him.

And we have to find a way to prevent this from recurring.

Pass a law forbidding Presidential nominees from choosing
their running mates?

It happened because John McCain is an incompetent and a cynic

Not what the left thought of McCain for the previous eight years.

and reckless beyond measure. To have picked someone he'd only met once
before, without any serious vetting procedure, revealed McCain as an
utterly unserious character, a man whose devotion to the shallowest
form of political gamesmanship trumped concern for his country's or
his party's interest.

He seems serious and deep to me, as well as sincere about his choice.

We need a full accounting of the vetting
process: who was responsible for this act of political malpractice?

There are no laws about vetting VP choices, hence no "full
accounting of the vetting process" is possible.

How could a veep not be vetted in any serious way? Why was she not
asked to withdraw as soon as the facts of her massive ignorance and
delusional psyche were revealed?

Accusations and assumptions by the opposition are not 'facts'.

The Palin nightmare also happened because a tiny faction of political
professionals has far too much sway in the GOP and conservative
circles. This was Bill Kristol's achievement.

I wonder how the writer proposes to limit political 'sway'.  Kristol
has long been one of the most palatable conservatives to the left,
though maybe that now has changed.

It was a final product of the now-exhausted strategy of fomenting
fundamentalist resentment to elect politicians dedicated to the
defense of Israel

This is a big part of what elections are about - running on
foreign policies.  Palin's defense of Israel is somehow out
of bounds?

and the extension of American military hegemony in
every corner of the globe.

Again, the writer is complaining about foreign policy
different from his own, not Palin's 'incompetence'.

Palin was the reductio ad absurdum of this
mindset: a mannequin candidate, easily controlled ideologically,
deployed to fool and corral the resentful and the frightened, removed
from serious scrutiny and sold on propaganda networks like a food
product.

Nice rhetoric, I guess.  (Or could it be hyperbole?)

This deluded and delusional woman still doesn't understand what
happened to her;

Of course she does.

still has no self-awareness;

Of course she has.

and has never been forced to accept her obvious limitations.

A baseless assumption.

She cannot keep even the most trivial story straight;

So you think, apparently

she repeats untruths with a ferocity and
calm that is reserved only to the clinically unhinged;

Somewhere in this tirade we need some examples, unless
the writer is admitting that he is only preaching to his choir.

she has the
educational level of a high school drop-out; and regards ignorance as
some kind of achievement.

Doubtful.  Writer seems to be taking 'Joe six-pack' too literally.

It is excruciating to watch her -

I enjoy watching her, and her large crowds seemed to also.

but more excruciating to watch those who feel obliged to defend her.

That would be me.

Her candidacy, in short, was indefensible. It remains indefensible.

Your offense leaves something to be desired.

Until the mainstream media, the GOP establishment, and the
conservative intelligentsia acknowledge the depth of their error, this
blog will keep demanding basic accountability.

What's this mainstream media stuff?  Are not Gibson and Couric
part of the mainstream media?  Some accountability needs
to be demanded of this blogger.

My point is not to persecute or hound some random person.

Who said it was?  Your attack on Palin is quite specific.

I wish I had never heard of Sarah Palin.

I wish you hadn't either; then tomcervo and moviePig might
have found someone better to speak for them.

I wish this nightmare had never happened.
I wish totally innocent by-standers, like Bristol Palin and Levi
Johnston

They look like a nice young couple to me, who have had a
very exciting two months.

and Heather Bruce and Trig Palin, had not had their lives
disrupted by this circus.

Why don't you wait for some evidence of harm to these young
people?  In any case, the families of political people are always
vulnerable.  Remember when David Shuster said the Clintons
had 'pimped out' Chelsea?

It's distressing to everyone, which is why
most journalists left many aspects of this charade alone.

False on the face of it.  Journalists descended on Alaska
like a plague of locusts, chewing on every bit of information
about the Palins they could find.

But Palin is claiming vindication,

Anyone so vilified as she and her family should seek all the
vindication they can find.

is on every cable show, is at the National
Governors Association Conference, and is touted as a future leader of
the GOP. There comes a point at which you have to simply call a time
out and insist that this farce cease and some basic accountability and
transparency be restored to the process.

What laws do you want passed for this purpose?

Since no one else seems willing to do so, the Dish will stay on the case.

Right, you're the only one remaining on Palin's case.

So where are those medical records anyway?

Wouldn't mere hospital admission records be enough
to prove maternity?  But lacking them, how about simply
interviewing Bristol's friends and teachers to see if they
thought she was pregnant with Trig?  Do you really think
no one would have come forward to substantiate something
as world-class scandal-worthy as Palin claiming her
daughter's child as her own?

Of course you don't, but that doesn't stop you from continuing
this outrageous smear by insinuation.

1) "Kristol's minions" are presumably those in the McCampaign who are
reportedly strongly guided by Kristol.

2) Your notion that her nomination, if misguided, would still be
merely "McCain's error, not Palin's" presupposes that every politician
should leap to grab every position of authority they can lay a claw
on.

3 ...'n') But, indeed, your rebuttals outnumber my patience to
counter each one. Suffice to say that I am at long last convinced:
You like Palin and what she both stands for and represents.

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

  • Re: OT: Palin defends Palin
    ... flam and bizarre behavior" should somehow turn out to be demonstrably ... flim-flam and bizarre behavior of Sarah Palin is now moot. ... I think she probably is history. ... fundamentalist resentment to elect politicians dedicated to the ...
    (rec.arts.movies.current-films)
  • Re: OT: Palin defends Palin
    ... flam and bizarre behavior" should somehow turn out to be demonstrably ... I think she probably is history. ... fundamentalist resentment to elect politicians dedicated to the ... like Bristol Palin and Levi ...
    (rec.arts.movies.current-films)
  • Re: OT: Palin defends Palin
    ... flim-flam and bizarre behavior of Sarah Palin is now moot. ... I think she probably is history. ... fundamentalist resentment to elect politicians dedicated to the ...
    (rec.arts.movies.current-films)
  • Re: OT: Conservative blogger Andrew Sullivans postmortem on Sarah Palin
    ... Conservative Blogger, my ass. ... flim-flam and bizarre behavior of Sarah Palin is now moot. ... I think she probably is history. ... fundamentalist resentment to elect politicians dedicated to the ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • OT:Sarah Palins bus tour leaves GOP cold
    ... Sarah Palin's bus tour leaves GOP cold ... While Palin has reveled in giving an extended one-fingered salute to the ... Many Republicans are more convinced than ever that Palin is not serious ... ?I figure that politicians in office are really busy and they don?t need ...
    (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)