Re: 'Blockbuster picks Blu-Ray' - questions

On Jun 20, 7:56 am, trotsky <gmsi...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jay G. wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:32:31 GMT, trotsky wrote:

Jay G. wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:28:46 GMT, trotsky wrote:

The physical media are referred to as "software".

DVDs are sometimes referred to as "software," but that's in reference to
the content on the disc, not the disc itself. It's very much like the way a
CD-ROM may contain software, but the physical CD-ROM itself is not
software, it's a media format. If you downloaded the same content from
online that's on the CD-ROM, that content doesn't somehow change into
something other than software.

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software
"The term "software" is sometimes used in a broader context to describe any
electronic media *content* which embodies expressions of ideas such as
film, tapes, records, etc."

You might want to google "anal retentive" next, jayg. "Software" has
*always* referred to media: records, tapes, videotapes, laserdiscs,
dvds, CDs, etc.

OK, so if I had a blank DVD, CD, tape, whatever, that empty media would be
referred to as "software"?

With the advent of computers, "software" came to refer
to computer programming, but the other media was around long before
computer software was even a concept.

Well, CDs and DVDs certainly weren't. As for the word "software" as we
know it, the word came into existence in 1958 in reference to computers:

http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_7_31_00.html

If you can find an example of a physical media being referred to as
"software" prior to 1958, then you may have a point. However, your chances
seem unlikely if the OED and experienced etymologists can't find any
earlier references except a 1850 occurrence applying to word to decomposing
garbage.

You make a very strong case, jayg. Now, perhaps you can tell us in no
uncertain terms why we shouldn't go with the dictionary.com definition:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/software

'Software' was originally computer programs. You'd never have thought
of calling it something amorphous like 'content', because it had a
more precise, restrictive logical structure than even the hardware it
ran on.

But, for a while now, I've seen 'software' being used to describe
prerecorded material for media-players. Though I've always considered
it a logical mis-extension of the term, certainly that meaning has
nevertheless become part of my vocabulary ...and, if I worked in the
entertainment industry, indeed the original meaning might quickly seem
antiquated.

(Did I forget to opine about who was right? My bad...)

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

  • Re: CD-ROM unable to read any CDs
    ... I put in a Win98 boot disc and selected drive D: in DOS but it just cannot ... for the CD-ROM but no discs are readable. ... eventually got into Windows the CD-ROm drive was not working and was not ... This team the BIOS recognises the CD-ROM drive and it is showing ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Julia Ecklars "Traveller" now shipping (LIMITED PRINT RUN)
    ... I'm not sure why there were problems with the Creasey's disc. ... first there was the audio CD. ... When the CD-ROM came out, ... But there's no real standard for it and there's no assurance of ...
    (rec.music.filk)
  • Re: Unable saving to DVD-rom
    ... one-write media, where as the -Rom designation indicates a read-only device. ... A CD-R, once burned and finalized, becomes a CD-Rom. ... Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Using GET_CONFIGURATION_IOCTL_INPUT in a CD application.
    ... We want this application not to execute from any media other than ... I have with me Windows DDK XP SP1 and am able to compile the ... from any media other than CD-ROM." ... In the event you are trying to do this from a driver get a good book. ...
  • Re: Digisoft Innovations
    ... It is a CD of Apple II files released in 1994. ... as well as IIGS ... You can get a better idea of what was contained on the disc, ... Didn't own a CD-ROM ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)