Re: Theories of lead and follow

avid_dancer@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
cs_posting wrote:
I realize what you are saying. However, in terms of the falling that
interacts with posture and horizontal movement, the issue is that the
center of gravity is not over the standing foot. This isn't collapsing
leg falling, it's unsupported geometry falling. Collapsing leg falling

So, how do you keep the COG over the standing leg for
as long as possible

You shouldn't. Dancers who do are being overcautios, at the expense of
flow and partner compatability.

or transfer the COG over to the
moving leg as quickly as possible? (I do have my opinion).

Not really that either - you just let the CG progress naturally. It
will still be supported by the presence of the standing leg, but as
it's not over the standing foot the sum of the support and gravity will
be a forward acceleration. You need to take this acceleration into
account as you plan your movements, because there is no way to
counteract it without distorting your posture/body position away from
what closed hold requires.

can be arbitrarily slowed if exectued in a supported geometry,
unsupported geometry falling cannot (unless you change to a supported
geometry). Some "rise and fall" falling is geometrically supported,
but the continuation of this from when the body arrives over the foot
forward into a heel lead will not be geometrically supported.

Your "geometry" makes assumptions that contradict
the goal of staying balanced.

Staying balanced is not a goal - it is a bad habit that impedes
dancing, just as it impedes walking.

  • Re: neuropethy
    ... help for the pain have to use a walker to prevent falling down because ... my right leg goes dead at times thanks in advance for your help ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: neuropethy
    ... help for the pain have to use a walker to prevent falling down because ... my right leg goes dead at times thanks in advance for your help ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: my ortho appointment---YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!
    ... If you're gonna break a leg, that's the way to do it! ... of the pain issues from walking on the broken leg. ... also said he could tell without an emg/nvc study that there was neuron loss. ... you're in good hands if you're going to insist on falling. ...
    (alt.support.arthritis)
  • Re: Archer is back at the vet! :< - UPDATE
    ... Broke his front leg. ... TWO weeks later he came in again for falling off the couch and now was ... My coworkers took an x-ray and I suddenly heard from the x-ray room. ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • Re: Theories of lead and follow
    ... have controlled "falling?" ... the "swing dances", and the swinging actions in those dances. ... standing foot to a position which cannot be maintained over time - ie, ... If you try to avoid falling, you will only be able to lower by adopting ...
    (rec.arts.dance)