Re: Gimel: "For nobody but a logger, sir, stirs coffee with his thumb."

In article <7fe8e42d-e148-4dd0-9ce8-566426392c9e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Brian Huntley <brian_huntley@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jan 3, 1:54 pm, jdnic...@xxxxxxxxx (James Nicoll) wrote:
Unlike the logger in James Stevens' THE FROZEN LOGGER, I
seriously considered putting on gloves and swapping out my shoes
for boots when it hit a mere - 17 C yesterday. At one hundred
degrees below zero, I wouldn't be buttoning up my vest but staying
inside (I'd also be a little curious how it could be 173 K in
Ontario).

"At one hundred degrees below zero,
He buttoned up his vest."

It *was* chilly today, wasn't it?

It was a bit nippy.

I helped my mother move from a farm to the city on a night that
hit -40. *That* was cold.
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with

  • Re: Gimel: "For nobody but a logger, sir, stirs coffee with his thumb."
    ... :>> degrees below zero, I wouldn't be buttoning up my vest but staying ...
    (rec.arts.comics.strips)
  • Re: Gimel: "For nobody but a logger, sir, stirs coffee with his thumb."
    ... for boots when it hit a mere - 17 C yesterday. ... I wouldn't be buttoning up my vest but staying ... "At one hundred degrees below zero, ... He buttoned up his vest." ...
    (rec.arts.comics.strips)
  • Re: Last Record
    ... I have a column which records whether our sales dept hit their daily target ... etc) and the 'HIT' counter should remain on zero until we started HITTING ... > FROM tblStudents, tblStudents AS tblStudents_1 ...
  • Re: Greys Anatomy (Dawsons Creek in a hospital) - DELETE!
    ... Where as ER clearly takes input from the medical profession, ... Compared to ER - week last monday *Body and Soul*, it gets minus points not even a zero. ... I was beginning to think I was alone in not liking this show - I can't understand why it's become such a hit in the US. ... And it doesn't even deserve to be in the same sentence as House. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: One field, multiple e-mail addresses - mail merge?
    ... yourself if you try to force Access to behave like Excel. ... have I hit a limitation in the Access/Outlook ... zero, one or many records, reflecting having zero, one or many email ... recognize this format and skips over these records. ...