Re: How quickly does Nitra-Zorb work?

I really don't know and haven't used it, but perhaps nitrite is being
produced by the nitrifying bacteria at nearly the same rate as the
Nitra-Zorb is removing it? A little salt in the water will help prevent
nitrite poisoning (prevents the nitrite from crossing the fishes gill
membranes so it doesn't get into the blood). I think Nitra-Zorb is an ion
exchange resin, which means it exchanges some other ions for the nitrite
ones. Adds some other substance to the water as it removes nitrite, I think;
probably some type of salt-like substance. If nitrate is at 10 ppm, the
bacteria must be starting to convert nitrite by now, unless your tap water
has nitrate. But until the nitrite drops, I'd use a little salt (however
much it says to use on the freshwater salt package unless you have fish that
can't tolerate it). I don't think you're supposed to recharge the Nitra-Zorb
until after you've used it; it should be ready to use as it comes. Although
I haven't used Nitra-Zorb, I have used Phos-Zorb before and it was ready to
use just as it came.

Fedor