Re: How Does Chlorine Kill Fish?

"IDzine01" wrote...
Just curious...

How does chlorine affect fish? If you forgot to add your water
conditioner would your fish succumb to the toxins in minutes, hours,
days or just leave them susceptible to infection?

damages gills, inhibits respritory functions, and affects kidneys, thereby
reducing their ability to filter toxins from the blood. basically they die
by blood poisoning/kidney failure or suffocation. i've read here a few
times about people who forgot to add water treatment and later found their
fish gasping for air at the surface. based on this information my guess
would be short term immediate dangers are to gill function. longer termed
exposure (at lower levels) would affect kidneys.

I know someone is going to say it depends on how much chlorine, but for
the sake of argument, let's just say "average" tap water treated with
chlorine. (Whatever that means)

Then, same question again but with chloramines.
Thanks.

i would infer they are about the same, but i cant answer that one for sure.

  • Re: New Aquarium Owner with a couple of questions.
    ... When I was a kid we had creek guppies breeding in chlorinated ... That was when we were kids and didn't know about chlorine. ... had let your tank water have just a little time to dechlorinate naturally, ... > used to think that I had done something wrong when the occasional fish ...
    (rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc)
  • Re: Dont need dechlorinator?
    ... I'm going to put fish right back in them...... ... I even got away with chloramine for a while until one ... I have well water now and it is no longer an issue. ... The water we get contains little chlorine but evidently there is enough to be deadly. ...
    (rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc)
  • Re: If Aged Water Is Covered
    ... Most fish owners have made the mistake of forgetting the chlorine ... The old idea that chlorinated water left out ... Only about 1/4 of the chlorine dissipates over each 24 hours. ... Meck has written a very clear and detailed article on the effects of ...
    (rec.aquaria.freshwater.goldfish)
  • Re: OT: Whos the yeast doctor here?
    ... I have an outdoor pond as well as a couple of "indoor" fish, ... most of the chemicals in the water ... I let the pond sit for a week before I added the fish, thinking the chlorine would dissipate in the sun. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • How Does Chlorine Kill Fish?