How Does Chlorine Kill Fish?

Just curious...

How does chlorine affect fish? If you forgot to add your water
conditioner would your fish succumb to the toxins in minutes, hours,
days or just leave them susceptible to infection?

I know someone is going to say it depends on how much chlorine, but for
the sake of argument, let's just say "average" tap water treated with
chlorine. (Whatever that means)

Then, same question again but with chloramines.
Thanks.

  • Re: Bleach to wash the hull?
    ... Are you REALLY trying to say that my county water doesn't have chlorine ... maintain residual disinfection throughout the distribution system. ... In England a few public municipal pools used to operate on ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Bleach to wash the hull?
    ... Are you REALLY trying to say that my county water doesn't have chlorine ... maintain residual disinfection throughout the distribution system. ... Bromine is the WORST pool sanitizer. ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Bleach to wash the hull?
    ... Are you REALLY trying to say that my county water doesn't have chlorine ... maintain residual disinfection throughout the distribution system. ... Bromine is the WORST pool sanitizer. ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: How Does Chlorine Kill Fish?
    ... How does chlorine affect fish? ... If you forgot to add your water ... reducing their ability to filter toxins from the blood. ...
    (rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc)
  • Re: Bad weld caused San Bruno pipeline explosion?
    ... the disaster was the easily foreseen outcome of the complete ... it's no big deal chlorine dissipates fast. ... My favorite was the chlorine levels in the tap water. ... I must admit that Green Bay and De Pere doesn't reek and make ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)