Re: [JR] Lou Gehrig's disease?

Relf wrote:

<quote>
I've been a regular poster to Usenet since 1991,
I'm not sure if I ever quoted lines using the “ > ” character.
My posts remain unblocked everywhere, all the time.

Killing all >quoted lines is easy, and
the “ ⏎. ” prefix in front of the original content
tells me that >quoted lines were killed. I love it ! ( so far )

Killing “ attribution Lines ” ( ALs ) is tricky.

If there are blank lines at the start of a post, they are removed.
The span of lines ( up to 5 lines ) from there to the next blank line,
or to >quoted line, may or may not be ALs.

If the span of lines ends in a >quoted line,
then X.EXE considers them ALs and remove them ( by not printing them ).

But, if they end in a blank line, then they are ALs
if-and-only-if they contain something like “ Left@Right. ”
and the begining of the line doesn't look like a link
( e.g. “ news:Left@xxxxxxxxx ” ).

The code ( from JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.CPP ) looks like this:
// BB points to the body, an array of lines.
// P and B will point to the line ( a null terminated string )

PP = BB - 1 ; int SawQ = 0, Smelly = 0 ; const int MaxAttribLns = 5 ;
while ( ++ PP < EE && PP - BB <= MaxAttribLns && ( P = B = * PP ) ) {
WhileWhite;
// Ch is either null or the first black space in the line.
if ( >Quoted || Smelly && ! Ch ) {
// Make the body of the post start after the ALs.
BB = PP + 1, SawQ = 1 ; break ; }
if ( ! Ch )
// “ ! Ch ” is true so the line is blank, we're done.
// We found no ALs.
break ;

if ( Smelly || EqiN( L"news:";, P, 5 ) || EqiN( L"Google.COM", P, 10 )
|| EqiN( L"www.", P, 4 ) || EqiN( L"http:", P, 5 ) )
// This line starts like it's a link, so ignore it.
continue ;

P = FromStart( P, '@' );
if ( ! P || P == B || ! Iden( P[ -1 ] ) || ! Iden( P[ 1 ] ) )
// No “ Left@Right ”, ignore the line.
continue ;

// “ ill ” has the “ . ” char and
// the list of invalid characters for a Right-ID

static LnP ill = L"@.,:;\"()<>[]\\"; P ++ ;
While( Ch > 32 && Ch < 127 ) {

// We're here while Right-ID has U.S. ASCII black space
LnP Svd = P ; int C = Ch ; P = ill ; While( C != Ch );

if ( Ch == '.' )
// Found the “ Left@Right. ”, we're in “ Smelly ” ALs.
Smelly = 1 ;

int Done = Ch ; P = Svd, Ch = 1 ; if ( Done ) break ; } }

inline int Iden( wchar_t C ) {
return C == '_' || C >= 128 || Alpha_Numeric ( C ); }

#define >Quoted ( Ch == '>' || Ch == '|' )
#define EqiN ! wcsnicmp

#define While( Should_Loop ) Ch = 1 , P -- ; \
while ( Ch && ( Ch = * ++ P, Ch2 = ! Ch ? 0 : P[ 1 ], Should_Loop ) )

#define WhileWhite While ( Ch && ( Ch <= 32 || Ch == L'¸' ) )
</quote>

Thanks ever so much for explaining all that, Relf. I hope by quoting
it without the ">" characters you dislike, I've made it easier to read
your very important code snippet in the quoted text. I guess it could
be useful to any coders who haven't added the ability to hide quoted
text to their readers. (Though the only ones I can think of are MS
products and Thunderbird, which has an extension for it.)

Oh, and I think you'll find you *are* blocked quite a bit, but don't
let that bug you; Google Groups, the "gold standard" for Usenet, still
shows your posts to its iPhone users, which should be good enough.

--
»Q«
Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.

  • Re: Line widths in postings, usenet vs. bulletin boards (forums)
    ... of options of the text editor used in this forum. ... Each user, however, reads, posts, and edits using specific software ... Usenet peering servers may have some limit, but you might never hit it. ... other than 512 characters for protocol command lines. ...
    (comp.sys.hp48)
  • Re: Long lines [was Re: __builtins__ magic behavior]
    ... editor to limit the length of each line of your posts to 70 characters ... as per the common standard for email and Usenet? ... read your posts. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: a symbol for "cents"
    ... there is some translation problem between IE6 and ... The characters I actually posted were not what ... The fact is that Usenet never really properly crossed the ... Given that she posts to Usenet in three different languages ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Re: Attention All Student Pilots Please; About Mxsmanic
    ... Some of you new students might not know me. ... I am an instructor who posts here on the student forum from time to time. ... Usenet has had its share of characters. ... I've lost track of most of the characters that have come and gone since I've been here. ...
    (rec.aviation.student)
  • Meta: Tuckerizations and Character Names
    ... past 15-20 posts in the series I was interested in reading that I ... my first initial and last name has been used in a RACC story ... I think I made my stance on tuckerized characters ... characters continuity from time to time but I really dig those ...
    (rec.arts.comics.creative)