Re: List of groups

Peter J Ross <pjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In news.software.readers on Thu, 25 Sep 2008 07:13:37 +0000 (UTC), Bob
Cortopassi <bobernet@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2008-09-24, Sqwertz <swertz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Shouldn't you just be able to put a colon after the newsgroup name
and rename it to ~/.newsrc? Or does slrn use a non-standard
.newsrc?

Yes. Scripting gyrations are not necessary.

A script isn't necessary, but automating the process of subscribing to
new interesting groups from a list compiled elsewhere could be useful.

Anyway, I haven't written a script yet, but I'll do so eventually, if
only becuase I'd learn from attempting it.

I don't want to keep you from learning anything new, but this
is the 'script':

$ cat listofnewgroups | sed 's/$/:' >> ~/.jnewsrc

...outghta do the trick. My sed is a pretty rusty. Somebody will
correct me if I'm wrong (this is Usenet after all ;-)

-sw
.