Re: [slrn] newbie stuck some what

Peter J Ross wrote:
In news.software.readers on 15 Sep 2007 21:15:59 GMT, Blinky the Shark
<no.spam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Peter J Ross wrote:
In news.software.readers on 15 Sep 2007 17:28:04 GMT, Blinky the
Shark
<no.spam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After posting the above I gave pl2 one more shot, with a few lines
of code Thomas W. supplied for manual addition to mime.c, that keep
it from length-checking X-Face. That works. See headers.

Hurrah!

But you'll need to adjust your locale settings from ISO-Latin to
UTF-8 to get the full benefit.

The notes I got when I ran it said that charset and mime_charset were
now irrelevant in the .slrnrc file. So I commented them out. Or are
you talking about something else? I do not have string "locale" in
.slrnrc.

Yes, I'm talking about something else. What happens if you type
"locale" at a prompt? I get this:

pjr@lenny:~$ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8">
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE=en_US
LC_NUMERIC=en_US
LC_TIME=en_US
LC_COLLATE=en_US
LC_MONETARY=en_US
LC_MESSAGES=en_US
LC_PAPER=en_US
LC_NAME=en_US
LC_ADDRESS=en_US
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US
LC_ALL=

I suppose that test could be regex'ed to include Face headers,
which are even longer.

Adding a group of similar lines to mime.c for Face: headers might be
better, since 7 (the length in characters of the string "X-Face:")
would need to be changed to 5.

That can't be done based on the rightmost five characters, and catch
both? I don't know s-lang. But I'm not a stranger to string
functions in general.

I'm a stranger to all programming (apart from my BASIC experiments
with my Sinclair QL in the mid 80s), so I have no idea.

Any language I've played with can extract parts of strings: left n
characters; right n characters, substring length x starting with
position y; etc. I'd be surprised if s-lang was lacking that.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

  • Re: Writing Japanese or Chinese strings in a text file
    ... what locale are you running in? ... So they are right in the excel file. ... > original characters). ... web page (exactly I put with VB the string from a textarea in a chinese ...
  • Re: regular expressions and the LOCALE flag
    ... "dependent on the current locale". ... Strings with the 'u' prefix are Unicode strings, not bytestrings. ... A UTF-8 string is a bytestring in which the ... ASCII: bytestring with characters in the ASCII ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • REWARD: chr() not working for Chinese "Locale"
    ... I have a real stumper of an issue...I am creating a string, ... Smartphone's "Locale" setting to "English", the string is built of the ... proper individual characters representing the specified values for X. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)
  • Re: Arabic or Chinese characters in a URL link give error copying
    ... > data contains Unicode characters - by definition. ... If his locale was Arabic or Chinese then I ... > character has a Unicode value outside the 8-bit range. ... then convert it to a Unicode string. ...
  • Re: How to convert Infix notation to postfix notation
    ... If this is for an error message, why isn't it using stderr for its output? ... array of 15 characters, and you call this function with the limit 15 on ... Making sure that the only string I allocate and append to, ... because mulFactor in all versions must needs incorporate the functions ...
    (comp.lang.c)