Re: [slrn] newbie stuck some what

Peter J Ross wrote:
In news.software.readers on 15 Sep 2007 21:15:59 GMT, Blinky the Shark
<no.spam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Peter J Ross wrote:
In news.software.readers on 15 Sep 2007 17:28:04 GMT, Blinky the
Shark
<no.spam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After posting the above I gave pl2 one more shot, with a few lines
of code Thomas W. supplied for manual addition to mime.c, that keep
it from length-checking X-Face. That works. See headers.

Hurrah!

But you'll need to adjust your locale settings from ISO-Latin to
UTF-8 to get the full benefit.

The notes I got when I ran it said that charset and mime_charset were
now irrelevant in the .slrnrc file. So I commented them out. Or are
you talking about something else? I do not have string "locale" in
.slrnrc.

Yes, I'm talking about something else. What happens if you type
"locale" at a prompt? I get this:

pjr@lenny:~$ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8">
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE=en_US
LC_NUMERIC=en_US
LC_TIME=en_US
LC_COLLATE=en_US
LC_MONETARY=en_US
LC_MESSAGES=en_US
LC_PAPER=en_US
LC_NAME=en_US
LC_ADDRESS=en_US
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US
LC_ALL=

I suppose that test could be regex'ed to include Face headers,
which are even longer.

Adding a group of similar lines to mime.c for Face: headers might be
better, since 7 (the length in characters of the string "X-Face:")
would need to be changed to 5.

That can't be done based on the rightmost five characters, and catch
both? I don't know s-lang. But I'm not a stranger to string
functions in general.

I'm a stranger to all programming (apart from my BASIC experiments
with my Sinclair QL in the mid 80s), so I have no idea.

Any language I've played with can extract parts of strings: left n
characters; right n characters, substring length x starting with
position y; etc. I'd be surprised if s-lang was lacking that.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups