Re: [pan] FQDN in Message-ID

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 21:52:57 +0100, Brad Rogers
<news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in news.software.readers:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 17:08:36 +0000, Peter J Ross wrote:

You could, of course, compile your own.
I could, but it's not something I'd recommnd to Ubuntu's target users,
and even Debian users tend to prefer the convenience of apt-get.

I think, these days, quite a few people prefer repositories over "roll
your own". For the most part, I use Debian's repositories, myself. For a
few packages though, I do compile from source.

I compile packages from source when I want to submit bug reports.
(E.g. recently, wesnoth and leafnode2. Not that I found any bugs in
Leafnode.)

Somebody (e.g. me) should have thought of this problem and asked for
the old Pan to be retained in the Debian repositories as an
Quite possibly. Although that would probably cause as many problems as
it solves.
Probably no more so than the simultaneous availability of different
versions of Lynx and Trn, to name but two.

Any user would have to be need fair warning that the package is not a
direct replacement/upgrade.

Sure. But if you're offered "pan: a newsreader" and "pan2: an
experimental rewrite of pan in C++", it ought to be clear enough.

When I was getting Pan from Debian, there was
no such warning. Hardly the packager's fault I know. Thankfully, I was
aware of the issue, and stopped getting Pan that way.

So you agree with me that it was a bad idea to replace stable software
with experimental software instead of creating a new package for the
experimental version?

--
PJR :-)

  • Re: Fedora Extras is extra
    ... Fedora Core 6 will only be a year from now, not mush of a stretch from ... And the repositories don't all compete with each other. ... Fedora Extras sees it, because THEY are the newcomers trying to compete ... > happens if one those individuals can no longer provide packages any ...
    (Fedora)
  • Major upgrade of apt (0.5.15cnc5) in fedora.us stable!
    ... To make all the cool new stuff possible, and to make the default configuration ... follow the instructions to complete the mirror selection to make your downloads ... testing/unstable repositories in your sources.list this might cause some ... Handling of kernel and related packages: ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Fostering Cooperation (was Yum and EXTRAS)
    ... | Now with regard to cooperation, what is written in above paragraph is very ... | number of packages and number of inter-package dependencies). ... | controlled repositories, which shall depend on eachother or depend on the ... Busybox version of RPM a few months back. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Zypper data probably corrupted, how to re-create?
    ... with repositories themselves (at least 2 of problematic ones were ... When looking at the packages at download.opensuse.org, ... You are getting caught by the new zypper setting that prevents new users from ... In the future the tools are expected to be improved, so that the vendor ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] What happened to mysql? Broken after latest updatefrom BS::/server/database.
    ... BUT: it's a community repository. ... repositories. ... some packages might be published untested. ... It is PERFECT if the community members help identity problems and REPORT them in a friendly manner, brought to the points, with simple facts. ...
    (SuSE)