Re: [SLRN] Is the SLRN Project Now Dead?

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:57:37 -0600, »Q« <boxcars@xxxxxxx> wrote in
news.software.readers:

In <news:slrnetjip2.5g0.pjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Peter J Ross <pjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It appears to be at least partly fixed in the latest Debian package,
0.9.8.1pl1-27, which includes some patches from Slrn CVS. We may yet
live to see Slrn 1.0!

Do you know if Debian has built it against S-Lang 2?

Yes, it has. That's the reason why Debian/Ubuntu users have had
problems.

But tonight I've been glancing at various newsgroups where posters use
Hebrew, Japanese and Cyrillic, and the letters appear correctly. And
your iso-latin charset appears correctly too.

But you have to use the fallback_charset variable or you'll have a
real mess in groups where people post broken MIME posts.

So currently I think this is a treat for Debian users only, since
fallback_charset exists only in Debian.

But let's face it, some of you Ubuntu people have been using Ubuntu
for long enough to be ready to start using *real* Debian. If I can
work out how to use real Debian, you can.

FWIW, the changes since 0.9.8 are in CVS' changelog,
<http://slrn.cvs.sourceforge.net/slrn/slrn/changes.txt?revision=1.86>

Yes, our beloved newsreader is not dead.

--
PJR :-)
.