Xnews out of memory problem

Thanks to giganews' outstanding completeness and retention, I'm faced with
a new woe: due to the large amount of headers that I need to download
(which sometimes number over 10 million), it becomes fairly often to run
into the dreaded "out of memory" problem. Make no mistake, my system is
decidedely high-end, with AMD dual core 2.6ghz and 2 GB OCZ dual-channel
ram, and the total amount of virtual memory is set to the max 4GB.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Xnews makes no effort to
conserve the usage of physical ram, it simply downloads all headers into
ram, before sorting and then storing the headers. If there are too many
headers to fit in the physical ram, kaboom, because it doesn't even try to
make room by writing freshly-downloaded data to the hard drive. I've tried
to download headers in a piece-meal fashion, sadly to avail, because Xnews
insists on loading old headers into physical ram before downloading the new
ones.

I've become really fond of Xnews, and hope there is a solution to this
problem: ie. a setting in the setup (where I've failed to find anything
relevant so far), or even a magic statement in the ini file.

Your help would be most appreciated.

  • Re: Xnews out of memory problem
    ... Xnews out of memory problem ... I'm faced with a new woe: due to the large amount of headers ... that I need to download (which sometimes number over 10 ... but it seems to me that Xnews makes ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: Problem Updating New Messages from NTTP News Server OE
    ... > as far as I know and he doesn't have a server in his setup. ... download the answer to a problem he had posted in the Outlook group and I had seen the answer almost immediately on July 1. ... sure how taking the check out of the download headers boxes would have helped. ... pane 3) Get headers at a time 4) No check in mark all messages as read when exiting newsgroup ...
  • Re: Server Side filtering (as pertains to Google Groups)
    ... headers are included in the overview headers, ... don't need a proxy to filter on that header). ... The effect is to retrieve bodies only for articles whose headers have ... the user can choose to download it or not. ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: new to ng
    ... > dialog box asking if you want the macro to run, ... downloads email headers ... I don't download any email in Outlook Express ... > first checked out with Magic Mail Monitor, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)