Re: OE shortcomings - was Re: Aioe problems now...help is appreciated.

On 2005-12-18, Cracklin' <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Whiskers" <catwheezel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

snip

>> But you knew nothing about the cross-posting to alt.test so you have no
>> chance to go there and see what is going on behind your back but in
>> public.
>
> This is probably true.
>
>> Not nice at all. Alt.test is pretty harmless, but some groups are
>> not. Can you see why OE is so despised by some people?
>
> Yes, but unless I can find someone where I live to set up one of these
> complicated NRs and *SHOW* me how they work I have no choice. Everyone I
> know is either using AOL or OE. I tried Hamster and couldn't make heads or
> tails of it. The other two I couldn't get to work except to post one
> message, then couldn't find that window again. I could only connect to one
> NR, Shared-Secrets. None of the others would connect. Hundreds of unwanted
> old headers downloaded...... Then I was stuck in window I had no way to
> back out of, except to close the NR. It would reopen to the same "dead-end"
> window. I then delete the program in total frustration.

snip

Actually, OE is one of the most complicated and clumsy newsreaders.
Others are a lot /easier/ to use - but they are /different/ from OE, and
that is what seems to be confusing you. It takes time and effort to learn
anything new; you didn't instantly know how to do anything with OE did you?
The fact that you are finding it so difficult to do quite basic things
with OE should tell you that it isn't an easy-to-use program.

If you let other people set things up for you then you will never feel
really comfortable using those things. You will be trying to understand
not only the program itsef, but also the way whoever set it up for you
thinks it should be done - that makes it twice is difficult in the long
run.

Hamster is not a newsreader, its a sort of news-server. You won't get far
with it until you are more familiar with the way newsgroups actually work.

What newsreader programs have you tried? It's quite likely that someone
here could take you step-by-step through solving whatever problems you
might be having with them, if you are prepared to make the effort and to
take things gradually :))

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

  • Re: Market Share, Tablets, and the Future of Computing
    ... This sort of augmented reality is not really all that far away. ... own window and letting the user sort it out. ... How do you propose to make use of such different sized screens without ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: [vim] fullscreen (Was: [gvim] colorschemes)
    ... [snip for space, been there, done that] ... Use command:WinFullScreen again (or move to another window or tab) ... To edit _vimrc I would right click on ohmster and then open ... But that's opening with vim, ...
    (comp.editors)
  • Re: Disabling "Edit with Vim " context menu entry in Windows?
    ... knew something about Usenet. ... situation in which there is a window manager but no ... offering to alias "reboot" to something else on the fileserver. ...
    (comp.editors)
  • Re: new macbook- 1 week (plus a couple days) followup
    ... any numbers printed on the keyboard. ... If you want the window to stay the same size, ... lock icon in the bottom left when the window is the size you want. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: First thoughts on Lion
    ... I don't think that's what Apple has done, ... though the app store puts them there by default. ... Mission control allows for window switching. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)