Re: [tin] Setting it up - Headers

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:23:32 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
> On 2005-12-18, eerok <eerok@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:19:47 GMT, SINNER wrote:

>> [...]

>>> In fact, in my little foray into the world of tin, it seems that a merge
>>> of these to apps (feature wise) would be an incredible NNTP client.

>> I thought the same thing. Quite a few features of tin hit
>> just the right note for me; it's already made my short list
>> of favorite newsreaders ...

> Do the slrn macros 'tin-group.sl' and 'tin-art.sl' not go far enough? I
> have never given Tin more than a cursory look so I can't really make a
> comparison - but I'm willing to learn more.

To be honest, I don't know what those macros do, but I think
slrn is flexible enough to do most anything. At this point I
think it would help if I stated more specifically what I like
about tin:

* I like the "article view" which fills my term with just
what I'm reading. I don't need any other windows, since
typically the "threaded view" in a split window ends up
too small to be very useful to me anyway.

* I like the context information I'm given in article
threads in the group. I can use this info to jump
around within a thread (by entering article numbers).

* I like getting the whole thread (even the posts I've
seen) when there are new posts in the thread. This
gives me the option of reading the whole context if I
want ("Enter") or skipping to what's new ("N").

* I like staying in article view and browsing through a
group with liberal use of thread-killing ("K") which
just pops me smoothly to the next thread. For example,
in a group like comp.lang.learn.c-c++ I'm not interested
in the posts about c++ ... so I just blast around those
threads once I see the first post. (In a perfect world,
I'd be able to see by the subject line what language the
topic referred to, but this is seldom the case ;-))

That's enough detail for now. I'm sure that my preferences
aren't universal; I'm just mentioning them so you know what
I'm talking about.

Offhand I'd say that some of these things would be easier to
implement in slrn than others.

--
"The secret of being boring is to say everything." - Voltaire

  • Re: [tin] Setting it up - Headers
    ... Quite a few features of tin hit ... > slrn is flexible enough to do most anything. ... > * I like getting the whole thread (even the posts I've ... particular newsreader - leading to subsequent preference for 'doing it ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: schecter floyd rose
    ... embarrass yourself by pretending to know that we might have performed "tin ... pan alley chestnuts and throwaways"? ... I most definitely had a better time tonight than you did, ... funny, you know, as it's probably clear from my posts, and if you're ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: schecter floyd rose
    ... embarrass yourself by pretending to know that we might have performed "tin ... pan alley chestnuts and throwaways"? ... I most definitely had a better time tonight than you did, ... funny, you know, as it's probably clear from my posts, and if you're ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: schecter floyd rose
    ... embarrass yourself by pretending to know that we might have performed "tin ... pan alley chestnuts and throwaways"? ... I most definitely had a better time tonight than you did, ... funny, you know, as it's probably clear from my posts, and if you're ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: PGP sigs on the Usenet
    ... >> Anyway, it's bad enough we have to sign our posts, thanks to dump ... >> minimal overhead and leaving the body unchanged. ... Can't speak for tin, but slrn, at least for a while (couple of years? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)