Re: Curiosity - how fast do professional writers write?

You rang, m'lord. Well, even if you didn't, "chris_tine49@xxxxxxxxxxx"
<chris.editrix@xxxxxxxxx> said:

>John wrote:
>
>> That was uncalled for. So far, you've been a rude and slightly obnoxious,
>> but that's too much.
>>
>> Christine, why do you even acknowledge these people?
>
>Thanks, John. I appreciate your concern.
>
>We go back a long way, sort of, the boys and I. The word "cunt" has
>lost its impact here owing to frequent indiscriminate use. (I hate it
>too.) And the rest of the name-calling, which is part of the prevailing
>"culture" not just here but in much of Usenet--I think.
>
>Most people are smart enough to stay away from Alan and Ivor as
>encounters with them are as often about swift and painful humiliation
>as witty repartee. Sometimes they share their skill, intelligence, and
>experience in different ways, though.
>
>I sometimes take things seriously and try to present or talk about
>different viewpoints. Unless I'm being bitchy I try to be civil. This
>seem generally to be viewed with distaste. Perhaps I'm as stupid,
>unskilled, irrelevant, and wrong as they insist.
>
>Or perhaps not. I'm an editor and I work as a sort of writing coach to
>help get published faculty who must write but may not like it--or who
>want to write something different from their accustomed research
>writing and don't know how. So I represent a different group of writers
>and kind of writing.
>
>But this newsgroup is pretty much about "play" and political
>discussions right now. It's always been about play--casual discussion
>about anything. The political emphasis is relatively new, and I think
>it makes the "play" of trading insults, one-upmanship, and rhetorical
>manipulation more harsh.
>
>The object is to win, not to shed light. Some think the triumphs are
>entertaining, if only to themselves, or instructive or both.
>
>Any thread that stays on a serious topic too long will be derailed,
>sometimes by simple shift to other topics and sometimes by the method
>you are observing.
>
>I'm bullheaded. I don't find this play, when it gets nasty, to be cute
>OR intimidating. Sometimes I decide not to subject myself to it.
>Sometimes I just plug on. I have delusions of being a champion for
>truth and fairness -- or at least the middle ground or the unvoiced
>"minority."
>
>Or at least myself!
>
>Either way, I'm not playing the game "right." <g>
>
>Christine

You still think "stupid cunt" isn't merited, Alan?

Dr Zen
Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Unafraid of Smiting.
http://gollyg.blogspot.com
Will Kill for Dollars.

  • Re: Curiosity - how fast do professional writers write?
    ... > Christine, why do you even acknowledge these people? ... Thanks, John. ... I'm an editor and I work as a sort of writing coach to ... But this newsgroup is pretty much about "play" and political ...
    (misc.writing)
  • Re: Interesting One
    ... not finite and magnetic traces of the write can be ... That is the reason for multiple over writing. ... > Anyway, that is my opinion, based on years of ... > John Crowley Ltd may be monitored. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: John Lennon autobiographical tape
    ... John had to criticize him for, ... conflict between that and writing "sincere artistic songs" whatever ... Paul was producing plenty of quality hard- ...
    (rec.music.beatles)
  • Re: Rowland has found another female to abuse.
    ... I'm currently writing a book aimed at 9-11 year ... Hopefully my motivation will kick in when I ... It's not suitable for a child, Mandy. ... You should go away and stop hounding Mandy, `Christine' - you're not ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Johns Planned Follow-up to W&B
    ... another album of new material. ... May Pang, meanwhile, says in her book that she and John planned to ... May says that John actually started writing ... Lennon himself gave a fascinating interview to Robert Hilburn ...
    (rec.music.beatles)