Re: It's Deja Flu All Over Again

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 19:17:35 GMT, Wendy Chatley Green
<invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>For some inexplicable reasons, Wendy Chatley Green
><invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>:For some inexplicable reasons, Josh Hill <usereplyto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>:
>::It will become less virulent with transmission. But that happened in
>::the 1918 pandemic too, and it still killed between 20 and 200 million
>::people.
>:
>: Y'know, the gap between your cited numbers is 180 million.
>:Can't you do better?
>
> 60 seconds' research answered my question.* An estimated 200
>million may have been infected worldwide. Obviously, not all of them
>died.

>* the question being "What 200 million?" and not "Can Josh do better
>research?"

"Global mortality rate from the influenza was estimated at 2.5%?5% of
the population, with some 20% of the world population suffering from
the disease to some extent. The disease spread across the world
killing twenty-five million in the course of six months; some
estimates put the total of those killed worldwide at over twice that
number, possibly as high as 100 million. An estimated 17 million died
in India alone, with a mortality rate of about 5% of the population.
In the Indian Army, almost 22% of troops who caught the disease died
of it. About 28% of the population of the U.S. suffered from the
disease, and some 500,000?675,000 died from it. Some 200,000 were
killed in Britain and more than 400,000 in France. The death rate was
especially high in indigenous peoples where some entire villages
perished in Alaska and southern Africa. Fourteen percent of the
population of the Fiji Islands died in a period of only two weeks
while 22% of the population of Western Samoa died. By July of 1919,
257,363 deaths in Japan were attributed to influenza, giving an
estimated Japanese mortality rate of 0.425%, much lower than nearly
all other Asian countries for which data are available."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Flu

--
Josh

"It was amazing I won. I was running against peace and prosperity
and incumbency." - George W. Bush

  • Re: Swine flu deflation
    ... Finally, having done all of that, we are talking about a disease vector ... mortality rate doesn't tranmit well. ... I still think the most likely reason for the apparent difference in Mexico ... needed to determine the percent fatality are not yet available. ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Re: prostate biopsy: Yes or not?
    ... In the mean time 30,000 men die of PCa in ... The mortality rate for the disease continues to slowly ... since some nations do not test asymptomatic men anyway and life expectancy ...
    (sci.med.prostate.cancer)
  • Re: prostate biopsy: Yes or not?
    ... In the mean time 30,000 men die of PCa in ... The mortality rate for the disease continues to slowly ... since some nations do not test asymptomatic men anyway and life expectancy ...
    (sci.med.prostate.cancer)
  • Re: U.S. efforts wont slow pandemic, model shows
    ... Tamiflu is not a vaccine, ... It's effectiveness against a hypothetical disease process is problematic at ... The current death rate is a shade over 50 percent. ... Retire military would be re-activated. ...
    (misc.news.internet.discuss)
  • Homicide no longer a leading cause of death
    ... Homicide was not one of the nation's top 15 causes of death in 2010, ... released Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control ... The death rate fell the most from 2009 to 2010 for non-Latino black ...
    (alt.true-crime)