Re: truck idling laws

Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:
Somebody (I must have them filtered) apparently wrote:

BTW, idling won't prevent gelling in the fuel tanks, which are not
close enough to the engine to get any appreciable heat, and probably
not in the fuel filters either.

That is interesting. The Pete and and Freightliner I drove both circulated heated fuel back to the tanks all the time.

Or did I just imagine that?
FUEL REQUIREMENTS (DIESEL ENGINES)
Use good quality diesel fuel from a reputable supplier in your Dodge truck. For most year-round
service, No. 2 diesel fuel meeting ASTM (see chart below) specification D-975 will provide good
performance. If the vehicle is exposed to extreme cold (below 20°F or -7°C), or is required to
operate at colder-than-normal conditions for prolonged periods, use climatized No. 2 diesel fuel or
dilute the No. 2 diesel fuel with 50% No. 1 (see chart below) diesel fuel. This will provide better
protection from fuel gelling or wax-plugging of the fuel filters.

U.S. Pat. No. 3,968,348 discloses a container heating jacket comprising a cylindrical wall structure with a resistance heating element. The invention can be used to heat large containers, such as 55 gallon drums of industrial liquid, however, it is not capable of being placed on a typical diesel fuel tank that is mounted on a truck.

U.S. Pat. Nos. 4,726,346 and 4,934,330 disclose immersion-type devices that have tubular members containing a heating element that are inserted into a fuel tank. Such devices are somewhat more complicated to make and install than the present invention.

U.S. Pat. No. 5,981,910 discloses a device for heating diesel fuel contained in a filter. The device comprises a cover containing a heating element that fits over a fuel filter. However, the device could not cover a mounted fuel tank.

Thus with the problems and shortcomings of prior devices, the present invention was conceived and one of its objectives is to offer a convenient apparatus for heating diesel fuel in a tank of a vehicle.

It is a further objective of the present invention to provide an apparatus for heating diesel fuel that can be easily placed on and is likewise easily removable by unskilled personnel from a mounted vehicle tank by utilizing releasable straps.

It is a further objective of the present invention to provide a diesel fuel heating apparatus that is relatively inexpensive to manufacture and purchase.

It is a further objective of the present invention to provide a diesel fuel heating apparatus that is foldable and capable of compact storage when not in use.

It is a further objective of the present invention to provide a diesel fuel heating apparatus that can be operated on a battery power source.

It is a further objective of the present invention to provide a diesel fuel heating apparatus that is durable, resistant to weather and abrasion, and suitable for outdoor use.

Various other objectives and advantages of the present invention will become apparent to those skilled in the art as a more detailed description is sea forth below.

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

The aforesaid and other objectives are realized by providing a cover made of a flexible material and containing within it an electrical resistance heating element. A cord is connected to the heating element capable of supplying power thereto. The cover which has a large open top area is easily placed on the mounted diesel fuel tank, and is held in place by releasable straps. The cord is connected to a power source. Preferably, the invention comprises both longitudinal and lateral, releasable top straps that hold the cover securely in place on the fuel tank.

Few trucks come equipped with such a tank heater "blanket"-- I for one have never seen one. Fuel line heaters are not what we're discussing here.

Therefore, the sales of diesel fuel additives in winter and after getting water in tanks in summer.

--
"Sarah, if the American people had ever known the truth about what we Bushes have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched."
--- George Herbert Walker Bush, in an interview with Sarah McClendon, 1992

  • Re: 27 years of gasoline prices: actual & inflation adjusted
    ... to make fuel cheaper. ... of years ago when fuel was almost at half the price it is today. ... See where it says "slash sulfur content of diesel fuel" ... it works pretty much the same for the oil companies. ...
    (alt.auto.mercedes)
  • Re: 27 years of gasoline prices: actual & inflation adjusted
    ... to make fuel cheaper. ... of years ago when fuel was almost at half the price it is today. ... See where it says "slash sulfur content of diesel fuel" ... it works pretty much the same for the oil companies. ...
    (alt.auto.mercedes)
  • Re: Vacuum Gauge for Gasoline Fuel Filter Recommended? And How?
    ... You are correct that diesel injectors are affected by stuff in the fuel ... Boats that use diesel fuel are usually ... ample protection if you get fuel at reputable gas stations and marinas. ... seem like a vacuum gauge is not an important item for gasoline ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Fuel storage (mostly diesel)
    ... I know Diesel fuel will burn in my oil burner and 40-50 gals of complimentry ... >>with tarp, and use rubber straps to keep tarp in place. ... Cost of the sheds are around ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Re: Steam?
    ... and a flashpoint of 140F (much higher than that of JP-4, ... Turbine fuel). ... Heating value is 125,270 BTU/gal. ... Diesel Fuel Marine, an obsolete term. ...
    (sci.military.naval)