Re: CLD GRANDFATHERING

"tscottme" <blahblah@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:TK-dnQ4uiKMhRTPZnZ2dnUVZ_oednZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm not sure what you mean. I think there was a grandfather clause for
old-timers........

Sheese, "old-timers"?

The grandfather clause was just that, a clause to allow preexisting drivers
a way to obtain a CDL without starting from scratch. In my case, Indiana
used to issue a chauffers license to operate larger vehicles. It was just a
written test with no driving test required.

You could grandfather into the CDL program if you had a chauffers license, a
written letter from your employer saying that you had driven for two years,
& take & pass the written CDL exams (ie..CDL written, air system, tanker,
hazmat, whatever). It keep you from having to take a driving test.

Tom

  • Re: partially OT - I love retirement
    ... behind the wheel of a semi without any training. ... Even after going to school, taking extra practice driving hours and passing my CDL tests, I did not feel comfortable enough to go out on my own. ... I took a driving test on a tractor drawn aerial ladder truck. ... They gave me a CDL license. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: CDL Driving Test?
    ... problem is getting a vehicle to do the driving test. ... state's web site and find a list of third-party CDL testers in your ... Call them and ask if they have a vehicle you can test in. ... usually charge extra for this. ...
    (misc.transport.trucking)
  • Re: A lot of stupid people claim to be truckers around here
    ... When was the CDL program initiated by the Federal Government? ... The grandfather clause was not part of the original licesning program. ... I got my Class A license in 1987; I was grandfathered into the CDL program right from the start. ...
    (misc.transport.trucking)
  • Re: CLD GRANDFATHERING
    ... cdl..how do you find out how it works,I cant seam to get any info ... I think there was a grandfather clause ... for old-timers seeking to obtain a CDL back in the 1980s when the CDL ... There was no grandfathering on the original license. ...