Re: Indiana Bus VS Stopped truck

Dave Smith wrote:

> Sorry, but cresting a hill without being able to see what is on the other side is a
> good reason to slow down. Contrary to what some bad drivers seem to think, you really
> do need to be able to see where you are driving, and to be able to see things far
> enough in advance to react appropriately.

So you feel that every time we climb a hill, every driver should assume
that the roadway may be blocked for some reason over the crest of that
hill? This should also apply to all interstate highways?

Dave....I don't think this holds any merit, and I don't think you drive
every day with this in mind either. You assume like everyone else that
a roadway that has been designed to have continuous and uninterrupted
travel, like that of a divided and limited access interstate highway,
will be clear DESPITE view obstructions.

You should realize that this will be a VERY important point that will
be an integral part of this case when it is argued in court. Nobody
expects a truck to be on it's side in the middle of a roadway anywhere
at midnight. A driver has a "reasonable" expectation on an interstate
highway that the road will be clear of anything that would prevent
uninterrupted travel. Otherwise, the speed limits need to be lowered
across the board everywhere at night to 45 mph, because it is
impossible to drive at 65 mph and be able to expect to stop a vehicle
in the span of time needed, once you see something that is 160 feet in
front of you.

> Given that the accident in the OP involved a tractor trailer that hit the shoulder and
> then rolled over across the highway that doesn't sound at all like the situation you
> described. From articles written at the time, it appeared that the tractor trailer
> hit the shoulder, then swerved back onto the highway, rolled and blocked the highway.
> In order for the bus to run into it, the bus had to have been behind. I would have
> expected a bus driver to be alert enough to see that there was trouble ahead. Some
> others here might have a different idea of safe driving or defensive driving than I
> do, but when I see a vehicle ahead of me hit the shoulder and then swing back out on
> the road, I hit the brakes and back off immediately.

On that stretch of roadway, it is assumable that the bus driver, had he
been as much as a quarter of a mile behind the truck, would not have
seen a thing. The crest would have prevented this being within view.

For all we know, the bus could have been five miles behind the truck.
That area of the state is sparsely populated, and not very busy at
night. Traffic is WELL spaced out after 10 pm.

.