Re: Red Lights and Accidents

On Feb 9, 5:17 am, John Lansford <jlnsf...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Arif Khokar <akhokar1...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

For intersections I drive through, I'm not really aware of
which have an all-red interval and which do not.

For the record, I believe that is the first instance of something you
don't know.

Oh please.  Every heavily travelled intersection with updated signals
has an all-red phase of a second or two for the reason I gave; to let
the traffic clear the intersection.

Seems unnecessary. If you can see your light is green I think you can
be assumed to see a vehicle in the way.

I have to believe some of the rationale of the all-red phase is to
attempt to prevent Leonard Light Runner from rudely introducing
himself to Danny Drag Racer.

There's a blind intersection I frequent , both streets with pretty
steep grades, speed limit/s 25, an all-red interval of 2 seconds, and
I've seen one car come through there at at least 50, 3 seconds after
that.

Parenthetically, you ought to see people trying to cross the street in
the mid-block 2-flashing caution lights crosswalk down the street.
It's a low income/coin laundry area. Doddering old folks and young
mothers toting/dragging toddlers, etc.

They'll stand there until the cows come home waiting for their ROW to
be granted.

To be fair, it's a pretty stupid place for a crosswalk, and when I
stop for a pedestrian there opposing traffic has stopped exactly once,
and if parked cars aren't blocking someone will barrel around me on
the R.

I get the distinct feeling yielding the ROW might be hazardous to
their health.
-----

- gpsman
.