Re: OT Panama Canal expansion

Larry G <gross.larry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jul 22, 6:09 pm, John Lansford <jlnsf...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Justin Rhodes <justinkrho...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jul 20, 5:34 am, John Lansford <jlnsf...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(snip)
It's not worth it.  Build two ferry terminals and leave it at that.

But what if I don't wanna take no stinkin' ferry? (assuming I ever
make it south of Nogales, much less to Panama)  :-)

Then my earlier answer stands; too bad for you.  A high speed ferry
covering 100 miles would take a lot less time than trying to forge
across 100 miles of jungle and swamp, so I guess if you just had to
drive all the way down to SA, that's what you'd end up doing.

there's a ferry that runs from Newfoundland to Goose Bay ... it's at
least a 24 hr trip.

A high speed hydrofoil ferry could make a 100 mile trip in about 3
hours.

A new road has been built from Red Bay to Goose Bay through a vast
area of Canadian Wilderness.. multiple river crossings ....

I bet there was enough demand to justify building it as well. Probably
commercial interests too.

my understanding is that the plan is to shut down the long ferry.

A short ferry ride is require to get from Newfoundland to Red Bay.

For example, there's zero interest in replacing any of the ferry
routes from NC to the Outer Banks, even though several of them are
very popular and the bridge alternative is for some of them hundreds
of miles away.

John Lansford, PE
--
John's Shop of Wood
http://wood.jlansford.net/

  • Sturgis 2008 road trip - Part 1 of many
    ... First stop, Natural Chimneys Park Virginia, 555 miles. ... Pull in around 10PM and hook up with Tony for the rest of the trip. ... Day 2, Tony has his motorhome that he has to drop off at his father-in-laws house in Staunton, and I need a new rear tire so I head over to the HD shop to get that taken care of. ... do some site-seeing all over the bay coast of MD before hitting the road around 5PM with the intent of catching the Lewes-Cape May ferry across to Jersey. ...
    (rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Bush approval rating rebounds
    ... Islander wrote: ... We live 15 miles from the local village which is the only place ... We also live 30 miles from the ferry landing, ... Bicycles are very dangerous here since the roads are narrow with little ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Sturgis 2008 road trip - Part 1 of many
    ... First stop, Natural Chimneys Park Virginia, 555 miles. ... Pull in around 10PM and hook up with Tony for the rest of the trip. ... Day 2, Tony has his motorhome that he has to drop off at his father-in-laws house in Staunton, and I need a new rear tire so I head over to the HD shop to get that taken care of. ... do some site-seeing all over the bay coast of MD before hitting the road around 5PM with the intent of catching the Lewes-Cape May ferry across to Jersey. ...
    (rec.motorcycles.harley)
  • Re: The Top-10 Summer Drives
    ... two miles north of Strong City. ... MILES: 120, DRIVING TIME: With twisting roads and lots of stops, give ... keeping the river on your right. ... take you past locks and dams, ferry landings, backwoods communities, ...
    (rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang)
  • Re: Goin to NS,NL , possibly PEI
    ... Unless it's deteriorated in the past 2 years, the road from Port-au-Basques ... arrived at Port-au-Basques (5-6 hrs ferry from North Sydney, ... Also from what I understand that 600 miles is very, ...
    (rec.travel.usa-canada)