Re: How hard to stop a Prius - not very - see the video

Scott in SoCal wrote:
Last time on misc.transport.road, Andrew Tompkins
<andytom@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Larry G wrote:
On Mar 12, 5:05 pm, John Lansford <jlnsf...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Larry G <gross.la...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/03/how-hard-is-it-to-st...
So why are there multiple operators saying they "stood on" the brakes
and the vehicle failed to stop? Are you willing to assume every
single one of them were pushing on the accelerator instead?
I don't know. But I also did not know that the brake on the Prius
disconnects the accelerator no matter what position it is in.

I also did not know that the transmission defaults to neutral even if
you flip it to reverse at speed.

Something is clearly not right here. The only explanation I can think
of is that all of this stuff is controlled by computer and under
certain circumstances the computer is going haywire.

but the car also has a manual emergency brake - right?

In order for one to give credence to this ... you have to come up with
multiple simultaneous failures... and I'm not buying that...
No, still only a single failure. If the computer is off in la la land, it's not in the wait loop, 'listening' for operator inputs.

Except there is not just ONE computer. Modern cars have over a dozen.
Engine Control Module, Brake Control Module, Transmission Control
Module, Body Control Module, Dashboard Module, Remote Entry Module,
Security Module, Airbag Module, On*Star Module, Car Stereo, Heads-Up
Display... The list goes on and on.

The chances of getting all these modules to enter la la land at the
same time and cooperate to create your failure scenario are so remote
as to be virtually impossible.

There has to be one module that is looking at the vehicle as a whole and making decisions based on that and driver inputs, then directing the other modules to act. If that one stops listening to driver inputs (or requests from other modules based on driver inputs), the other modules are just junk.

--Andy
.