Re: How hard to stop a Prius - not very - see the video

Larry G wrote:
On Mar 12, 5:05 pm, John Lansford <jlnsf...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Larry G <gross.la...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/03/how-hard-is-it-to-st...
So why are there multiple operators saying they "stood on" the brakes
and the vehicle failed to stop? Are you willing to assume every
single one of them were pushing on the accelerator instead?

I don't know. But I also did not know that the brake on the Prius
disconnects the accelerator no matter what position it is in.

I also did not know that the transmission defaults to neutral even if
you flip it to reverse at speed.

Something is clearly not right here. The only explanation I can think
of is that all of this stuff is controlled by computer and under
certain circumstances the computer is going haywire.

but the car also has a manual emergency brake - right?

In order for one to give credence to this ... you have to come up with
multiple simultaneous failures... and I'm not buying that...

No, still only a single failure. If the computer is off in la la land, it's not in the wait loop, 'listening' for operator inputs. That means that it will appear that the brake isn't working, the gear shifter isn't working and the gas pedal is only trying to make the throttle open farther and farther. But it's still only one failure.

Concerning the emergency brake, can it overpower a wide open throttle at 80 MPH? For the most part, it's used to keep a stopped car from rolling.

--Andy
.