Re: To the Kentucy DOT complaint department

On Sep 17, 4:08 pm, richard <mem...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Having travelled on interstates 65 and 71 today, I would like to file a
legitimate complaint in the area of inadequate postings.

As you should be aware of, there are several places on both roadways where
road crews are busy at work and lanes are closed.

In one such area a sign stating that the right lane was closed ahead was
posted a mere 1500 feet before the closure. At 70 mph this gives the
traveller less than 5 seconds to change lanes.

In all other cases that I saw, the lane closure signs were posted 1/2 mile
before. This is totally illogical as at the higher speed it is necessary to
have more room to maneuver in. Specially long trucks.

In most cases there was barely any advanced warning of work ahead let alone
lane closures. As a former professional truck driver, I feel that warnings
should be posted no less than 1 (one) mile before the actual lane closure..
This gives trucks ample time to maneuver over even in moderate traffic. In
some cases, specially when it is difficult to see over the hills, 2 miles
should begin warning signs.

Inadequate postings is an accident waiting to happen. Please review your
policy on this and make sure that contractors are adhering to the policy.
If you don't have one, create one.

Thank you.

My experience has been that you get warned in the following manner
(usually):

VMS (or maybe even 2 or 3) at least 5-10 miles out, followed by
LANE(S) CLOSED 2 MILES AHEAD (little orange sign)
LANE(S) CLOSED 1 MILE AHEAD (another little orange sign)
LANE(S) CLOSED 1/2 MILE AHEAD (another little orange sign)

and maybe even

LANE(S) CLOSED 500/1000/1500 FEET AHEAD *and* a flashing yellow
segmented arrow indicating the lane in which to merge.
Usually also a cop car or two burning down the batteries with its
flashing lights.

Sounds like you either hit a new work area (and all the signs aren't
up yet), or one that is almost complete (and they've started removing
signs). In any event, not really safe, and just asking for an
accident or an injured worker.

  • Re: Construction zones......do we need new laws?
    ... Here's a sign telling me that the right lane is closed 1/2 mile ahead?! ... "Road construction ahead left lane closed". ... In response to this uncaring world of construction zones, ... the contracted work zone. ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Construction zones......do we need new laws?
    ... Here's a sign telling me that the right lane is closed 1/2 mile ahead?! ... "Road construction ahead left lane closed". ... Construction zones shall be identified to the public no less than 3 miles ... At 3 miles before the zone signs shall be posted stating "road work ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • On the road again (TX) Part 1
    ... This time Fayetteville, AR to Canton, TX. ... approx Mile 56 to Mile 54, the southbound lanes are a washboard. ... have been updated to the new Oklahoma State Route shield. ... lane, then at the last moment indicate using the right lane for 286. ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Re: Are all truck drivers idiots?
    ... We had one heck of a blizzard today here in central Illinois. ... complete stop on Interstate 80 near mile marker 65 west bound. ... It's sliding sideways in my lane, all I could see in my mirror ... was the side of his trailer. ...
    (misc.transport.trucking)
  • Re: Training update and question
    ... then decided to run around the track for a mile again. ... The track is measured for the inside lane. ... I can think of three relatively accurate methods of measuring your ... This assumes you can accurately plot ...
    (rec.running)