Re: GPS speed indications

Larry Sheldon wrote:
This is a pure question without preconceived notions as to what the answers might be.

What I think I know is that the unit-in-hand locates satellites and does timings to determine where it is in three dimensions.

What I don't know is how often they do that.

Seems like if the interval is very long it would not know about altitude changes, ziggy-zaggity twisty roads and while it would know position accurately it might not know exact distance traveled between fixes and thence would not be able to calculate speed accurately.

I don't exactly how often it updates. But I was watching my unit on two lane roads and freeways where the posted speed limit changes. My unit displays the road speed limit and dead on where the the posted speed limit was my unit showed the speed limit. This occurred numerous times. The only way it could know I was passing that point is by updating every half second or so.

Additionally my unit shows the speed I'm driving. As I adjust my speed the unit adjusts my speed almost immediately.

I'm guessing it updates its data 3-4 times per second

  • Re: Speed camera highlighting
    ... to travel more than 10mph over the posted limit. ... "THE government is to cut the national speed limit from 60mph to 50mph on most of Britain’s roads, enforced by a new generation of average speed cameras. ... Jim Fitzpatrick, the roads minister, defended the plan, which will be the most dramatic cut since 1978, when the national speed limit was reduced from 70mph to 60mph. ... Kent County Council had begun reviewing the limit on the busy coastal road but funding was cut off by the Government in the summer. ...
    (uk.rec.driving)
  • Re: Trip Report IN IL WI MN ONT IA
    ... IN doesn't agree with the speed limit increase... ... > Some higher speed limits on two lane roads in Wisconsin and Minnesota would ... > and the intersection is being converted into an interchange. ... > 53 drops down to 2 lanes just past the new interchange, ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Re: MPH in the UK
    ... in mph when the distance signs are now moving to kph. ... and the speed limit signs were changed in advance. ... change about to happen on Irish roads. ... New metric signs displaying km/h will be put in place by ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Sen David Norris - Gated Community Snob
    ... >children is that roads are a deathtrap. ... >speed limit for residential roads. ... a "school zone" during school time it's reduced to 20mph. ...
    (soc.culture.irish)
  • Re: Helmet Debate In San Francisco on KGO this morning
    ... under the age of 12 may ride a bicycle on a public..." ... I rode to school every day on roads ... I used to cycle to school on roads with a speed limit of ... I ride on some highways with that limit but usually ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)