Re: Pedestrian Bridge at Niagra Falls?

In article <h1b5jq$v4u$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Scott M. Kozel" <kozelsm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The Chief Instigator <patrick@xxxxxx> wrote:

I've only done that once, thanks to a girlfriend when I was in my senior
year in college. Her parents lived in Niagara Falls, so I was invited to
spend the holidays with the family. That was in 1976, back when the Robert
Moses Parkway was still a freeway through the city,

Was it a continuous freeway all the way through the downtown? What was
the reason for closing a long section of one of the two-lane roadways?

It was, and if you walk over the Rainbow Bridge (either in person or via
Google Maps) you can see an old section of divided highway crossing
under you, used now only by service vehicles. The parkway was closed to
allow greater falls access from the city proper. Even today, the north
leg of the parkway has been recently reduced from two roadways to one to
allow for more recreational usage through the Niagara Gorge area.

  • Niagara Falls, NY: Robert Moses Parkway awaiting construction
    ... Here's an interesting article on the Robert Moses Parkway, a route ... which runs parallel to the Niagara River in upstate New York. ... half of its lanes are shut down to motor ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Re: NY-Niagara falls
    ... I loved the art treasures of Florence and ruins of ... You would have a good point if the only thing to do at Niagara Falls was to ... about 5 miles down stream from the falls. ... are also some marked battlefields along the parkway and in Niagara Falls. ...
    (rec.travel.usa-canada)
  • Re: Pedestrian Bridge at Niagra Falls?
    ... It was, and if you walk over the Rainbow Bridge you can see an old section of divided highway crossing under you, used now only by service vehicles. ... The parkway was closed to allow greater falls access from the city proper. ... the north leg of the parkway has been recently reduced from two roadways to one to allow for more recreational usage through the Niagara Gorge area. ... Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Re: Americans and maps
    ... the White Water Walk to see the lower rapids up close. ... Niagara Falls, they usually mean the Niagara Parkway, a two-lane road ... restored Fort George). ...
    (alt.usage.english)