Re: (KY) SR 1072 Extension open in northern part of state

Sherman L. Cahal wrote:
On Oct 11, 1:11 pm, PAD <spam.free.by.2...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sherman L. Cahal wrote:
http://kytcnewsroom.ky.gov/news/10_9_07%20nthn%20ky.htm
Governor Fletcher, Transportation Cabinet Celebrate Opening of New
Road to Opportunity
Highland Avenue Extension Paves The Way for Future Development
PRESS RELEASE
Covington, Ky. (October 9, 2007) - The new Highland Avenue (KY 1072)
extension is now open for traffic. Governor Ernie Fletcher's Executive
Cabinet Secretary, Robbie Rudolph, helped Kentucky Transportation
Cabinet (KYTC) and local and state dignitaries celebrate the opening
during a ribbon-cutting ceremony yesterday morning.. The extension
will not only lead to an expanding Fidelity Investments campus, but
will open other opportunities for economic development.
""It was just 16 months ago that Governor Fletcher and the General
Assembly gave final authorization for this $15 million project to
proceed towards completion Today, because of this investment, Fidelity
Investments is growing and development opportunities are now being
extended to other businesses," said Secretary Rudolph. "When you look
at transportation infrastructure, Governor Fletcher uses safety and
economic development opportunities as the criteria for prioritizing
our investments and we are able investment in worthwhile projects like
this one because we are operating government more efficiently. In
fact, local communities have received more funding for infrastructure
improvements during this administration than at any time in the
history of the Commonwealth. We are investing in our future and laying
the foundation for healthier, stronger communities for decades to
come."
The Highland Ave. Expansion is approximately 1.75 miles long. It
includes two bridges that cross over the Banklick Creek and the CSX
railroad. There is a roundabout .7 miles from KY 17 that leads to
improved access roads to connect with Howe Drive and Magellan Way as
public streets on the Fidelity Investments campus.
"This new road will provide a greater opportunity for economic
development in Northern Kentucky," said Sen. Jack Westwood (R-Crescent
Springs). "It will also help expand the efforts of public
transportation by providing a safer and more convenient access to
commuters who use the 'Park and Ride' facility near the TANK garage."
"This road will also lead to economic progress by opening up over 200
acres here in Kenton County," said Rep. Tom Kerr (R-Taylor Mill). "We
appreciate the Governor working with local and state leaders to move
this project forward. Further, this road will provide improved school
bus access to the children living at the Washington Square Apartments
complex located off Howe Drive."
"We are pleased that Governor Fletcher placed a high priority on
economic development because the Highland Ave. extension will not only
benefit Northern Kentucky, but Kentucky as well with business
development," said Rep. Jon Draud (R-Edgewood). "We are having success
because we are working together to create new opportunities for our
people."
Northern Kentucky Tri-ED, the region's economic development entity
representing Boone, Campbell and Kenton counties, facilitated this
road extension project. Tri-ED's Chairman Steve Pendery stated "The
collaborative assistance from many agencies, including Governor
Fletcher, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, the Kentucky Cabinet
for Economic Development, the Northern Kentucky Legislative Caucus,
the Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Kenton County and the City
of Covington, to name a few, was tremendous on delivering this project
ahead of schedule. We were presented with a challenge and met that
challenge."
###
Sherman Cahal |http://www.abandonedonline.net/seicer
American Byways |http://www.americanbyways.com
Bridges & Tunnels |http://www.bridgestunnels.com
Abandoned |http://www.abandonedonline.net
Urbanup |http://www.urbanup.net
@Flickr |http://www.flickr.com/photos/seicer
Sherman,

Is any of this 'road spending' helping Ernie stay elected? I'm an
outside observer, ie not living in the Bluegrass State, but it seems
obvious to me that it's just an effort to change the subject from his
other problems.

Not that any politician wouldn't be doing the same thing, whether he/she
had ethical issues (don't they all have ethical issues one way or
another?) or not.

Pete

I've noticed that he has been appearing at a _lot_ of local events,
such as awarding a check to demolish an abandoned building, and to get
local streets paved. Typically, that doesn't require a governor's
presence, but since it is near election, it could be very well used as
a tactic to garner more votes. His poll numbers are hovering around
35%, with Beshear taking the remainder.

Sherman,

35% v 65% does not sound good for Ernie.

I guess all those communities are just taking the money and running so to speak ;-)

Pete

  • Re: (KY) SR 1072 Extension open in northern part of state
    ... Governor Fletcher, Transportation Cabinet Celebrate Opening of New ... Highland Avenue Extension Paves The Way for Future Development ... development in Northern Kentucky," said Sen. Jack Westwood (R-Crescent ...
    (misc.transport.road)