Re: street names that uniquely identify a city?

David Jensen wrote:
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 23:35:15 -0600, in misc.transport.road "Shawn K. Quinn" <skquinn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
<slrndub3jt.52s.skquinn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Not sure if this thread has ever been brought up here, and too tired to
try to find out.

How many street names are there that would uniquely identify a city? As
in, given an address without a city, there is only one city within a
given state, province, or even country that could possibly have the same
address.

(Of course, I have no idea how one would verify these easily.)

Examples that come to mind right off hand:

Any address of FM 1960 almost has to be somewhere within the Houston
area, though not necessarily within Houston city limits. I don't know of
any other states that even call their secondary routes farm-to-market or
ranch-to-market roads.

Other possibilities I can think of, specifically for the Houston area:

(East, West, <null>) T. C. Jester Boulevard
Dairy Ashford Road
Alief Clodine Road (possibly should be hyphenated, not sure, think I've
seen it signed both ways)
Howell Sugarland Road (etc., *many* others like this)
(North, South, East, West) Sam Houston Parkway (N,S,E,W)
Westheimer Road
(North, South, <null>) Post Oak (Boulevard, Road, Lane)
Heights Boulevard
Allen Parkway

Can anyone come up with counterexamples for these and/or likely unique
street names for other areas?

I'll go with John Nolen Drive in Madison, Wisconsin.

Still, most street names are duplicated somewhere else, even if there is
one that is presumed to be the one being referred to if no other
information is provided.

Is there any metro other than Milwaukee with major streets named 'Kinnickinnic Av', 'Fond du Lac Av', 'Appleton Av', 'Port Washinton Rd', 'Vliet St' and 'Burleigh St'? Is there another major metro besides MIlwaukee with a 'National Av'?

In Madison, I have always liked the street names 'Olin', 'Proudfit', 'Midvale', 'Gammon', 'Muirfield', and the somewhat obscure 'Ondossagon' (that one is a residential side street in the West Towne area). 'Fish Hatchery Rd' and 'Mineral Point Rd' are fairly unique major Madison street names, too.

In the MStP area, 'Hiawatha', 'Nicollet', 'Excelsior', 'Minnehaha', 'Minnetonka', 'Snelling' and 'Hennepin' all appear to be fairly unique street names to me.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

  • HOUSTON SUFFERING FROM COMPASSION FATIGUE: CITY WITH LARGEST INFLUX OF KATRINA VICTIMS FACING STRAIN
    ... welcomed a flood of hurricane evacuees with open arms. ... March 13, 2006 issue - In the aftermath of hurricane Katrina, Houston ... This, after all, was the city that housed, fed ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • street names that uniquely identify a city?
    ... How many street names are there that would uniquely identify a city? ... Any address of FM 1960 almost has to be somewhere within the Houston ... ranch-to-market roads. ... Post Oak (Boulevard, Road, Lane) ...
    (misc.transport.road)
  • Houston Now Overflows with Flood Refugees
    ... HOUSTON -- The caravan carrying survivors from Hurricane Katrina was supposed to end here, with the promise of a cot, clean water and a hot meal. ... Houston Mayor Bill White estimated that there are 100,000 people from the New Orleans area living in his city -- 22,000 temporary residents in the Astrodome, a basketball arena and Red Cross shelters, and the rest staying with relatives or in hotels. ... Authorities plan to start moving people out of the Astrodome and into the convention center, where they expect to eventually house 11,000 people. ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Re: street names that uniquely identify a city?
    ... in, given an address without a city, there is only one city within a ... Actually, that was originally Howellville-Sugar Land Road, which at one time ... Post Oak (Boulevard, Road, Lane) ... Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey Houston, ...
    (misc.transport.road)